Billiken Sports Nutrition
Nutrition information to help student-athletes achieve peak performance
Billiken Sports Dietitian:
Contact Lila for all of your nutrition needs!
Follow Billiken Nutrition on Twitter: @BillikenBites
Why does nutrition matter?
It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the American College of Sports Medicine that:
"Physical activity, athletic performance, and recovery from exercise are enhanced by optimal nutrition."
For this reason, the NCAA recommends that collegiate student athletes consult Registered Dietitians for guidance regarding dietary intake.
Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html
Enter weight and height
The tool will calculate your BMI, assign a category (normal weight, overweight, etc.), and provide a healthy weight range for you.
*Note: BMI is valid measurement tool that compares weight to height. It can help us identify when body weight is too high or too low. Athletes should be aware that weight is greatly impacted by muscle mass. A muscle mass higher than the average person's could make it appear that an athlete is overweight when this is not the case. For this reason, a measurement of body fat percentage is helpful.
Please address all concerns or questions with the dietitian.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - links to a variety of nutrition topics for athletes.
- AND "How Do I...?" - Basic cooking tips and advice.
- My Fitness Pal - Convenient and free online food log for tracking intake; phone app also available.
- Spark recipe search tool - Great for finding quick, easy, and healthy recipes.
- KATOM - Information on the MyPlate nutrition program
- No Meat Athlete - Provides resources for vegetarian and vegan student athletes.
- Gatorade Sport Science Institute - Research-based information on nutrition for athletic performance.
- PowerBar Nutrition and Training site - More research-based information.
- United States Anti-Doping Agency - Useful information on supplement use.
- McCallum Place Victory Program - Resources related to eating disorders in athletes.
- PublicHealth.org - Various nutrition resources
>>Recipe Archives: Pear, Prosciutto & Hazelnut Stuffing | Healthy Dorm Choices | Spring Munchies | Chunky Guacamole | Valentine's Day Cookies | Chocolate Banana Smoothie | Low-Fat Mock Deviled Eggs | Pumpkin Muffins | Pumpkin Seed Party Mix | Blueberry Peach Crisp | Fast Meals Recipes