Saint Louis 2, Missouri State 1
Aug. 20, 2016 | Maryland Heights, Mo. (Sportport)
The Saint Louis field hockey team defeated in-state rival Missouri State 2-1 in regulation in the first exhibition of the 2016 season. It also was the first game directed by SLU head coach Danielle Baumgardner. In addition to the regulation play, the Billikens played an overtime and took five rounds of 1v1 shootouts.
SLU SCORING SUMMARY
- Carli Wolfe scored the first Billiken goal of the game in the 25th minute. Morgan Crowe flicked the ball into the circle from the right side to a waiting Wolfe. Wolfe gathered in front of the goal and lifted over the MSU keeper.
- Wolfe added her second goal of the game in the 32nd minute with a run to the goal from the left side. She split the defense and ripped the ball past the keeper on the far post to put SLU ahead 2-1.
- Morgan Crowe, Carli Wolfe, Maya Bentley and Carly Kissinger each scored on their 1v1s in the shootout.
- The Billikens used two keepers in the contest. MeMe Dawson played the first half, making four saves and allowing one goal. Jessie Bryan played the second half and all of overtime, making two saves and allowing three goals. Dawson played all five rounds of the shootout.
- After playing the backline last season, Carli Wolfe thrived as a forward in the exhibition. She had four shots, all on goal, in the contest. She scored both of SLU's goals.
- Wolfe had four shots in the game. Last season, she took three shots in 19 games played.
- As a team, SLU took 12 shots, 10 of which were on goal.
The Billikens host Lindenwood at Sportport on Sunday at 2 p.m. to conclude their exhibition season.