Saint Louis 5
Santa Clara 3
Saturday, Feb. 25 | Santa Clara, Calif. (Stephen Schott Stadium)
The Billikens held off a ninth-inning rally from Santa Clara to pick up a 5-3 win over the Broncos. Santa Clara got the tying run to the plate in the ninth, but Aaron Patton got the four-pitch strikeout for the one-out save. Miller Hogan earned the “W” his second of the season. Saint Louis rises to 5-1 overall ths season.
SLU SCORING SUMMARY
T2 – Sniatynski walks. King scores.
T7 – Reeser hits a sacrifice fly to left. Case scores.
T8 – Dubet doubles down left field line. Mahoney and Hanford score.
T9 – King walks. Leimkuehler scores.
- Saint Louis leadoff hitter Aaron Case was 1-for-2 with a triple and drew three four-pitch walks in the contest.
- Devin Mahoney was 1-for-5 in the game with a double and a run scored.
- Cole Dubet also was 1-for-5 with a double and two RBIs.
- As a team, the Billikens drew 10 walks.
- On the mound, Miller Hogan threw six scoreless innings, throwing first-pitch strikes to 17 of the 24 batters he faced.
- Ryan Lefner entered the game in the eighth with runners at the corners and no outs, but retired all three batters he faced to maintain the SLU lead.
- Aaron Patton threw to the final batter of the game, earning the one-out save.
The Billikens conclude the Jack Gifford Memorial Tournament tomorrow at 1 p.m. (CT) when they take on Creighton.