Western Illinois 6
Saint Louis 7
Wednesday, March 15 | St. Louis, Mo. (Billiken Sports Center)
Saint Louis withstood a late rally from Western Illinois to top the Leathernecks 7-6 at the Billiken Sports Center. The Billikens led most of the game, but WIU tied it with a four-run sixth inning. SLU responded with runs in the seventh and eighth to capture the victory. Aaron Patton (3-0) earns the win for SLU and Ryan Lefner gathered his fourth save of the year. Saint Louis is now 14-2 overall this season.
SLU SCORING SUMMARY
B1 - Sniatynski hits a sacrifice fly to right. Case scores.
B2 - Mehlin singles to right center. King scores.
B3 - Morisano homers to left field.
B4 - Garella grounds out to short. Leimkuehler scores.
Mehlin hits a sacrifice fly to right. King scores.
B7 - Sniatynski reaches via fielder's choice. Garella scores.
B8 - Leimkuehler scores on a wild pitch.
- Saint Louis shortstop Alex King had one hit over his last 10 at bats. Today, he led the Billiken offense, going 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles and two runs scored.
- Trent Leimkuehler also had two hits, going 2-for4 with two runs scored.
- Freshman Nick Mehlin was 1-for-1 in the game recording two RBIs as the starting first baseman.
- SLU continued to display patience at the plate, drawing seven walks while striking out twice.
- Jackson Wark started on the mound for the Billikens. He surrendered one hit and one walk while striking out three in three innings.
- Aaron Patton got the win in relief, his third of the season, tying him for the team lead.
- Ryan Lefner picked up the save, his fourth of the year.
The Billikens head to Indianapolis for a three-game series at Butler this weekend. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. on Friday.