Saint Louis 3, Rhode Island 1 (23-25, 25-19, 25-18, 25-20)
Friday, Oct. 6 | Kingston, R.I. (Keaney Gymnasium)
• Saint Louis overcame a first-set loss and posted a season-high .298 attack percentage to defeat Rhode Island 3-1 (23-25, 25-19, 25-18, 25-20) Friday night in an Atlantic 10 Conference match at Keaney Gymnasium.
• The Billikens, who captured a third consecutive victory, improved to 6-11 overall and 3-1 in the A-10. Rhode Island, which came into the contest with a three-match winning streak, fell to 8-9, 3-2.
• When Rhode Island scored to even the set at 13 – the 10th tie of the frame – it sparked a 7-1 run that put the Rams in front 19-14.
• Saint Louis responded with a 9-3 spurt to take a 23-22 lead, but Rhode Island rattled off three straight points to claim the set.
• A 7-2 flurry allowed the Billikens to grab a 17-12 advantage.
• Rhode Island narrowed the lead to 17-15, but that was as close as the Rams would get. SLU used a 5-0 run to regain command.
• After Rhode Island took a 3-1 lead, Saint Louis tallied 14 of the next 17 points for a 15-6 cushion.
• The Rams got back in it with a 6-0 run and later trailed just 21-18 before the Billikens closed the set with a 4-0 stretch.
• The Billikens jumped out to a 3-0 lead, but Rhode Island fought back to tie the set on nine occasions, the last a 17-17 stalemate.
• Saint Louis finished with authority, however, using an 8-3 run to secure the set and the match.
• Rhode Island came into the match ranked 13th nationally in opponents’ attack percentage, allowing a .149 efficiency. SLU hit 149 points higher than that mark.
• Maya Taylor collected a match-high 18 kills and hit .311. Taylor added nine digs and three blocks.
• Lauren Leverenz led all players with a .625 attack percentage, producing 17 kills with just two errors in 24 attempts. Leverenz also had a match-high-tying four service aces to go with three blocks.
• Mackenzie Long had a match-high and SLU season-high 24 digs.
• Sien Gallop contributed 14 kills and nine digs.
• Lauren Mershon and Juliana Phillips chipped in five and four blocks, respectively.
• Kennedy Cordia had a match-high 46 assists.
The Billikens play at Fordham Saturday, Oct. 7. Match time is 6 p.m. (CT).