Saint Louis 3, Fordham 2 (22-25, 25-16, 24-26, 25-21, 15-8)
Saturday, Oct. 7 | Bronx, N.Y. (Rose Hill Gym)
• Saint Louis flirted with a .300 attack percentage for a second consecutive match and won the final two sets to defeat Fordham 3-2 (22-25, 25-16, 24-26, 25-21, 15-8) Saturday night at Rose Hill Gym.
• The Billikens improved to 7-11 overall and 4-1 in Atlantic 10 Conference play after winning for a fourth straight time and sixth time in seven matches. Fordham fell to 10-9, 2-4.
• Saint Louis posted a .298 attack percentage to match its season high established Friday at Rhode Island. The Billikens also registered season highs of 68 kills and 72 digs.
Fordham jumped out to a 7-3 lead before a 5-2 Saint Louis run tied it 9-9. The set was tied seven more times before a 5-1 surge gave the Rams a 1-0 match lead.
The Billikens took early control with a 5-0 run that put them on top 10-5. Fordham cut the lead to 11-10, but SLU gradually pulled away and finished the set with an 8-2 flurry.
A 12-7 Fordham advantage was erased by an 8-2 Saint Louis spurt that gave the Billikens a 15-14 edge. SLU later used a 6-2 run to gain set point at 24-22, but Fordham reeled off four straight points to win the frame.
After Saint Louis grabbed a 9-6 lead, the set was deadlocked five times. The Billikens broke a 14-14 deadlock with back-to-back points and were able to maintain the upper hand the rest of the way.
A 4-0 run put SLU in front 7-3. Fordham narrowed the gap to two points twice, but the Billikens, who hit .556 (10-0-18) in the set, closed in style by scoring seven of the last nine points.
• Saint Louis held Fordham to a .156 attack percentage.
• Lauren Leverenz and Maya Taylor tied for match-high honors with 19 kills apiece, equaling the Saint Louis season high. Leverenz posted match highs in attack percentage (.472, 19-2-36) and blocks (six), and Taylor completed a double-double with 10 digs.
• Sien Gallop (17 kills, 16 digs) and Kennedy Cordia (52 assists, 17 digs) also turned in double-doubles. Gallop added four service aces.
• Mackenzie Long led the Billikens with 19 digs.
The Billikens are at Dayton Friday, Oct. 13.