Saint Louis 2, Rhode Island 0
Thursday, October 12, 2017 | 6 p.m. CDT
URI Soccer Complex | Kingston, Rhode Island
• Saint Louis scored goals early and late in the first half and went on to post a 2-0 Atlantic 10 Conference victory over Rhode Island Thursday night at the URI Soccer Complex.
• The Billikens extended the best start in program history, improving to 13-1-2 overall and 5-1-1 in the A-10. SLU remained in third place in the conference behind La Salle (7-0) and Duquesne (6-1).
• Rhode Island fell to 3-12, 0-7.
Alli Klug (Courtney Reimer), 5:33, SLU 1-0; Olivia Petit (penalty kick), 39:46, SLU 2-0.
• Saint Louis is No. 37 in this week’s NCAA Ratings Percentage Index (RPI).
• The win improved the Billikens’ road record to 8-1, putting them one victory shy of tying the school record of nine road wins set by the 2005 team.
• The shutout was SLU’s 11th of the season, just two shy of matching the program record of 13 shared by the 2003 and 2004 teams.
• With her PK, Olivia Petit took over the team lead in goals (seven) and points (16).
• The scoring tandem of Alli Klug and Courtney Reimer connected for a third time this season, most on the team.
• Klug’s goal was her fourth of the season.
• Reimer collected her sixth assist of the year and now is tied for the team lead. She has registered an assist in three straight and four of the last six games.
• Mary Niehaus made five saves and notched her ninth shutout of the season. Niehaus has 18 career clean sheets, tying Hannah Perry (2008-09) for fourth on the Billikens’ all-time list.
• Niehaus chalked up her 13th win, placing her one behind the Saint Louis season record of 14 she shares with Meghann Burke (1999) and Amanda Martin (2004). Niehaus had 14 victories a year ago.
• Eleven players, led by Brionna Halverson (career-high three) combined to take SLU’s 14 shots. The Billikens’ 10 shots on goal (10-5 advantage over URI) were divided among nine players, with Isabella Palazzolo firing two shots on frame.
• Mary Niehaus, Alli Klug and Molly Ream played all 90 minutes.
SAINT LOUIS STARTERS
Mary Niehaus (G), Alli Klug (D), Molly Ream (D), Brionna Halverson (D), Isabella Palazzolo (D), Maddie Pokorny (M), Courtney Reimer (M), Alyssa Seitzer (M), Evie Lavelle (M), Olivia Petit (M), Lindsay Sands (F).
SAINT LOUIS SUBSTITUTES
Emma Farley, Lauren Tondl, Megan Nixon, Carli Bond, Annabelle Copeland, Haley Cox, Julia Peterson.
The Billikens play their next-to-last regular-season home game Sunday, Oct. 15, when Richmond comes to town. Game time at Robert R. Hermann Stadium is 1 p.m. Saint Louis seniors Jordan Catalano, Mary Niehaus, Molly Ream and Lauren Tondl will be honored before kickoff.