Dayton 3, Saint Louis 1 (29-31, 25-15, 25-17, 25-19)
Friday, Oct. 13 | Dayton, Ohio (Frericks Center)
• Saint Louis won a thrilling first set, but Atlantic 10 Conference co-leader Dayton came back to claim a 3-1 victory, 29-31, 25-15, 25-17, 25-19, over the Billikens Friday night at UD’s Frericks Center.
• SLU, which saw its four-match winning streak halted, fell to 7-12 overall and 4-2 in the A-10. Dayton improved to 15-6, 6-0.
After Saint Louis took a 3-0 lead, a 17-8 run gave Dayton a 17-11 cushion. But a 10-3 flurry by the Billikens put them on top 21-20, and nine ties followed before a Dayton service error and a SLU block in succession gave the Bills the frame.
SLU trimmed its deficit to one point twice after falling behind 4-0, but Dayton maintained the upper hand and gradually pulled away.
The Billikens held an early 3-2 lead, but Dayton used an 8-1 spurt to take command. Saint Louis drew no closer than three points the rest of the way.
Although Dayton took the lead for good, 8-7, following six ties, the Flyers were not able to pull away from the Billikens until late in the set. Leading 20-17, UD tallied five of the last seven points.
• Sien Gallop led all players with 18 kills – her season high in a four-set match – and 19 points. Gallop added eight digs.
• Lauren Leverenz tallied 13 kills and a .292 hitting percentage.
• Maya Taylor posted a 12-kill, 12-dig double-double.
• Kennedy Cordia turned in a 25-assist, 10-dig double-double.
• Mackenzie Long had eight digs.
• Juliana Phillips notched four kills with no errors on eight attempts.
The Billikens host George Washington Friday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m.