VCU 3, Saint Louis 0 (25-19, 25-22, 25-20)
Friday, Oct. 27 | Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
• Lauren Mershon enjoyed her best hitting performance of the season vs. an Atlantic 10 Conference opponent in Saint Louis’ 25-19, 25-22, 25-20 loss to conference leader VCU Friday night at the Siegel Center.
• The Billikens slipped to 9-13 overall and 6-3 in the A-10. VCU improved to 24-2, 10-0.
VCU took the lead for good, 7-6, after breaking the sixth tie of the set, but Saint Louis stayed within striking distance for much of the way. The Billikens trailed just 17-16, but the Rams took command with a 6-0 run.
After SLU held early leads of 3-0 and 5-2, the set was tied seven times, the last being a 21-21 deadlock. VCU tallied the next two and four of the next five points to take a 2-0 match lead.
VCU sprinted to an 8-1 lead. A 6-2 spurt put Saint Louis back in it, but VCU gradually pulled away and led by as many as eight points before winning by five.
• Lauren Mershon tied her season high with eight kills and posted her best hitting percentage of the season (8-1-15, .467) vs. an A-10 opponent. Mershon also led the Billikens with four blocks.
• Lauren Leverenz had eight kills, while Maya Taylor tallied seven kills.
• Kennedy Cordia posted a 21-assist, 10-dig double-double.
• Mackenzie Long and Sien Gallop collected nine digs apiece.
The Billikens are at Davidson Sunday, Oct. 29, at noon (CST).