Davidson 3, Saint Louis 2 (25-23, 25-21, 24-26, 19-25, 15-13)
Sunday, Oct. 29 | Davidson, N.C. (Belk Arena)
• Saint Louis overcame a two-set deficit and forced a deciding fifth frame, but Davidson squeezed out a 3-2 Atlantic 10 Conference victory over the Billikens, 25-23, 25-21, 24-26, 19-25, 15-13, Sunday afternoon at Belk Arena.
• The Billikens fell to 9-14 overall and 6-4 in the A-10. Davidson improved to 10-14, 3-8.
After Saint Louis raced to a 10-3 lead, Davidson chipped away and forged a 17-17 tie. The Billikens grabbed a 23-21 edge following four more deadlocks, but the Wildcats scored four straight points to win the set.
Davidson continued its first-set run by establishing a 4-0 advantage. SLU cut the margin to a point twice, but the Billikens could not tie or take the lead.
There were 15 ties, and the largest lead was 22-18 in favor of Saint Louis. A 5-1 Davidson flurry tied the frame at 23, and it was 24-24 before SLU kept the match alive with two straight points.
An 8-3 Saint Louis run turned a close set into a 19-14 Billiken lead. Davidson managed to get no closer than four points the rest of the way.
Following a 9-9 stalemate – the fifth tie of the set – Davidson ran off four straight points to seemingly take command. Saint Louis responded, however, with its own 4-0 spurt for a 13-13 tie, but the Wildcats scored twice in succession to claim the set and the match.
• Sien Gallop registered her sixth double-double of the season. Gallop tallied a career- and match-high 22 kills to go with 10 digs and a match-high-tying four service aces.
• Maya Taylor collected a career-high 20 kills and added eight digs.
• Lauren Leverenz recorded 17 kills and a .324 hitting percentage (17-6-34). Leverenz tied Gallop with four service aces.
• Mackenzie Long led all players with 21 digs.
• Kennedy Cordia just missed a double-double, turning in 27 assists and nine digs.
• Camila Rivas notched a match-high 30 assists.
• Katia Haak contributed eight digs.
The Billikens host Fordham Friday, Nov. 3, at 6 p.m.