Saint Louis 3, George Washington 0 (26-24, 27-25, 25-15)
Saturday, Nov. 11 | Washington, D.C. (Charles E. Smith Center)
• Saint Louis committed just 10 errors in posting a season-high .371 hitting percentage, and the Billikens concluded the regular season with a 3-0 (26-24, 27-25, 25-15) Atlantic 10 Conference victory over George Washington Saturday night at the Charles E. Smith Center.
• The Billikens, who extended their winning streak to four matches, improved to 13-14 overall and 10-4 in the A-10. George Washington slipped to 10-20, 6-8.
• Saint Louis is the No. 3 seed in the six-team A-10 Championship, which will be hosted by Duquesne in Pittsburgh, Pa. The Billikens meet No. 6 George Washington in a quarterfinal contest Friday, Nov. 17, at 4:30 p.m. (CT).
There were 13 ties in the opening frame. After Saint Louis took its first lead at 20-19, George Washington used a 4-1 run to go on top 23-21. The Billikens pulled even at 23, and after facing a GW set point trailing 24-23, got consecutive kills from Lauren Mershon, Juliana Phillips and Sien Gallop to win the set.
The second set featured runs by both teams. The Billikens jumped out to a 5-1 lead, but an 8-2 spurt put the Colonials in front 9-7. SLU responded with a 15-7 surge for a 22-16 advantage, only to see GW put together an 8-1 flurry to earn a set point at 24-23. However, the Billikens scored four of the next five points, including three kills by Maya Taylor, to take a 2-0 match lead.
Saint Louis never trailed. A 6-0 run put the Billikens in command with a 13-4 cushion, and the Colonials never challenged after that.
• Saint Louis had eight service aces, while George Washington had none.
• Taylor hit .542, with 14 kills and just one error in 24 attempts.
• Gallop had 14 kills and a match-high three service aces.
• Monica Loftus (3-0-5) and Mershon hit (7-0-12) hit .600 and .583, respectively.
• Kennedy Cordia recorded a match-high 41 assists and nine digs.
• Mackenzie Long registered a match-high 13 digs.