George Washington 3, Saint Louis 2 (25-23, 14-25, 25-16, 21-25, 15-13)
Friday, Nov. 17 | Pittsburgh, Pa. (A.J. Palumbo Center)
• Maya Taylor had a match-high 20 kills and Sien Gallop followed with 19, but Saint Louis was edged 3-2 (25-23, 14-25, 25-16, 21-25, 15-13) by George Washington in an Atlantic 10 Conference Championship quarterfinal match Friday at Duquesne’s A.J. Palumbo Center.
• The Billikens fell to 13-15. George Washington (11-20) advanced to play Dayton in Saturday’s semifinals.
GW took a 20-16 lead with a 6-1 run, but Saint Louis scored four straight points to forge a 20-20 tie. After the Colonials scored the next two points, the Billikens again came back for a 22-22 deadlock. Trailing 24-22, SLU fought off one set point before GW won the frame.
Except for a 2-2 tie, SLU led throughout. A 10-1 spurt turned an 8-6 lead into an 18-7 cushion, and the Billikens cruised from there.
The Colonials assembled a 10-1 flurry of their own to take an 11-3 lead. The Billikens drew no closer than four points the rest of the way.
GW appeared to be in command with a 14-9 lead, but a 12-3 run put Saint Louis on top 21-17. The Colonials closed to 23-21 before the Billikens won to force a fifth set.
After George Washington pulled out to a 10-6 lead, Saint Louis chipped away and eventually knotted the score at 13. However, the Colonials tallied two straight points to claim the match.
• Mackenzie Long had a match-high 21 digs.
• Gallop completed a double-double by notching 11 digs.
• Kennedy Cordia also had a double-double, turning in 47 assists and 11 digs.
• Lauren Leverenz registered nine kills and five blocks, while Lauren Mershon posted nine kills and four blocks.