DePaul 86, Saint Louis 78
Saturday, November 18, 2017 | 4 p.m.
Wintrust Arena | Chicago, Illinois
• Jackie Kemph led five Saint Louis double-digit scorers with 16 points, but a fourth-quarter rally propelled DePaul past the Billikens, 86-78, in the Maggie Dixon Classic championship game Saturday afternoon at Wintrust Arena.
• SLU’s record evened at 2-2, while DePaul – ranked 20th in the preseason USA Today Coaches Poll – improved to 3-1.
• Kemph was named to the All-Tournament team. She averaged 14.5 points and 6.5 assists in two games.
There were four ties and four lead changes. Saint Louis led 14-10 with 3:07 left, but DePaul ended the quarter on a 16-6 run to go in front 26-20.
The Blue Demons’ lead floated between two and seven points before the Billikens made a late surge, scoring seven of the last 10 points to trail just 40-38 at intermission.
DePaul was in front 49-43 midway through the quarter when SLU caught fire. Six different players scored during a 19-3 run that built the Billikens’ largest lead, 62-52. A late 3-pointer pulled DePaul to within seven.
The Blue Demons regained the lead for good by scoring nine points in the first minute of the period. DePaul expanded the margin to seven with 4:50 remaining. Saint Louis regrouped and trailed just 77-73 at the 3:12 mark, but DePaul took command with a 7-0 spurt.
• Saint Louis shot a season-high 49.2 percent from the field.
• The Billikens posted big advantages in points in the paint (44-20) and fast-break points (33-16).
• Kemph tied for game-high honors with seven assists and committed just one turnover.
• Aaliyah Covington scored a season-high 13 points.
• Jordyn Frantz was 3-of-4 from the arc and finished with 13 points.
• Tara Dusharm (5-of-6 FG) and Paige Rakers registered 10 points and five rebounds apiece.
• Maddison Gits grabbed a team-high eight rebounds.
• Jenny Vliet had five assists.
Mart’e Grays, 25 points; Ashton Millender, 18 points; Chante Stonewall, nine rebounds; Kelly Campbell, eight rebounds, seven assists; Tanita Allen, 10 points, seven rebounds, four assists.
The Billikens play at SIUE Tuesday, Nov. 21, at 7 p.m.