Saint Louis 80, Cleveland State 64
Friday, November 24, 2017 | 8 p.m. (PT)
South Point Arena | Las Vegas, Nev.
• Jackie Kemph registered her 12th career double-double and Jenny Vliet posted a career scoring high in Saint Louis’ 80-64 victory over Cleveland State Friday night at the South Point Shootout in Las Vegas.
• Kemph tallied game highs of 20 points and 12 assists (season high), while Vliet (8-of-12 FG) scored 19 points and equaled her season high of eight rebounds (game-high three offensive).
• Kemph, who already owns the SLU career assists record, passed the 700-assist mark. She now has 707 helpers in a Billiken uniform.
• The Billikens, whose 80 points are a season high, evened their record at 3-3. Cleveland State of the Horizon League fell to 2-2.
• Jordyn Frantz buried a 3-pointer on SLU’s third possession of the game to give the Billikens a lead they would hold throughout the game.
• Five different players, led by Kemph’s nine points, scored as Saint Louis built a 20-5 cushion. But Cleveland State netted the last nine points of the quarter to make it a 24-19 game.
• A triple by Kemph with 4:46 left capped an 11-4 run and gave the Billikens their largest lead of the quarter, 35-23.
• An 8-0 Cleveland State spurt brought the Vikings to within four, 35-31, with 2:19 remaining. Saint Louis scored the final five points of the quarter, however, and took a 40-31 lead into intermission.
• Cleveland State remained within striking distance and trailed 57-48 late in the period.
• Aaliyah Covington connected on the first of her three 3-pointers in the closing seconds to give the Billikens a double-digit lead for good, 60-48.
• Covington’s trey triggered a 19-8 run that gave Saint Louis its largest cushion of the game, 76-56, at the 4:11 mark.
• The Billikens out-rebounded Cleveland State 32-23 and limited the Vikings to five offensive rebounds.
• Saint Louis shot a season-high 53.7 percent (29-of-54) from the field.
• The Billikens recorded a season-high 11 3-pointers (11-of-24, 45.8 percent).
• Covington (3-of-5), Vliet (3-of-6), Frantz (3-of-6) and Kemph (2-of-4) led the way from beyond the arc.
• Covington and Frantz tallied 12 points apiece.
• Kemph was 6-of-6 from the foul line and committed just one turnover in 35 minutes.
• Kerri McMahan collected a season-high six rebounds.
• Maddison Gits had a game-high three blocks.
CLEVELAND STATE LEADERS
Ashanti Abshaw, 19 points; Khayla Livingston, 18 points, four assists; Olivia Voskuhl, 13 points, eight rebounds.
The Billikens conclude play in the South Point Shootout when they face LSU Saturday, Nov. 25, at 10 p.m. (CT).