Vanderbilt 74, Saint Louis 69
Wednesday, November 29, 2017 | 7 p.m.
Chaifetz Arena | St. Louis, Missouri
• Five Saint Louis players scored in double figures, led by Jackie Kemph and Maddison Gits with a game-high 17 points apiece, but Vanderbilt eked out a 74-69 victory over the Billikens Wednesday night at Chaifetz Arena.
• Jenny Vliet scored 11 points, while Aaliyah Covington and Paige Rakers netted 10 apiece for the Billikens (3-5). Kemph tallied a game-high 10 assists for her second double-double of the season and 13th of her career.
• Vanderbilt improved to 2-6.
• After Saint Louis jumped out to an 8-3 lead, Vanderbilt used a 15-4 surge to go on top 18-12 with just under two minutes remaining.
• Kemph drilled 3-pointers on the Billikens’ final two possessions to forge an 18-18 tie.
• The Billikens stretched their run to 11-0 on a Kemph layup and a Covington triple that made it 23-18.
• The Commodores pulled even three times in the quarter, but a late bucket by Kendra Wilken allowed SLU to take a 34-32 edge to the locker room.
• Saint Louis held a 43-40 advantage when Vanderbilt began a 12-2 run that put the Commodores in front 52-45 with 1:45 left.
• Layups by Paige Rakers and Kemph, followed by a Covington trey in the closing seconds, pulled the Billikens to within a field goal at 54-52.
• Kemph drove for a tying basket on the Bills’ first possession, and SLU would go on to build a four-point lead on three occasions, the last a 66-62 edge with 3:22 to go.
• A short jumper by Autumn Newby and Christa Reed’s triple put Vandy on top 67-66. Rakers and Reed exchanged 3-pointers, with Reed’s putting the Commodores ahead to stay with 54 seconds left.
• Three defensive stops and four free throws clinched the win for Vanderbilt.
• The Billikens made nine 3-pointers, giving them 37 treys over their last four games.
• Kemph passed the 1,500-point mark for her career and now has 1,509. She needs 77 points to pass Sadie Stipanovich for the Saint Louis record.
• Gits’ 17 points are a season high. She was 8-of-9 from the field, including a 3-pointer.
• Vliet and Gits pulled down a team-high nine rebounds apiece. Vliet has 29 boards over her last three games (9.7 rpg).
• Vliet and Jordyn Frantz had four assists apiece.
Christa Reed, 15 points, five assists; Chelsie Hall, 14 points, four assists; Kayla Overbeck, 10 points; Autumn Newby, 13 rebounds; Cierra Walker, nine points, five assists.
The Billikens host Little Rock Friday at 7 p.m.