George Washington 71, Saint Louis 58
Saturday, February 17, 2018 | 2 p.m.
Chaifetz Arena | St. Louis, Mo.
• Jackie Kemph scored 15 points and Jenny Vliet turned in her fourth double-double of the season, but George Washington claimed a 71-58 Atlantic 10 Conference victory over Saint Louis Saturday afternoon at Chaifetz Arena.
• The Billikens fell to 14-13 overall and 8-6 in the A-10, while George Washington improved to 14-12, 9-5.
• Saint Louis trailed 6-2 with 6:33 left but used a 13-2 run to build its largest lead, 15-8, with 39 seconds remaining before settling for a 15-10 advantage at the buzzer.
• Kemph nailed two 3-pointers during the run, while Vliet hit a trey and layup.
• George Washington, which had scored the final two points of the first quarter, tallied the first 13 of the second period and led 23-15 at the 5:22 mark.
• The Colonials built the margin to 11 points, 30-19, with 2:10 left and took a 32-23 cushion to the locker room.
• George Washington led 40-27 after Kelsi Mahoney knocked down a 3-pointer with 6:16 left.
• Saint Louis got back in it, however, outscoring GW 13-6 the rest of the quarter.
• Vliet and Maddison Gits led the way during the run with five and four points, respectively. Vliet’s triple with 28 ticks remaining narrowed the GW lead to 46-40 entering the final 10 minutes.
• A Vliet free throw on SLU’s first possession made it a five-point game.
• It was 58-52 following Kemph’s layup with 2:09 to play, but GW converted 11 of 12 free throws down the stretch to seal the win.
• Kemph was 3-of-5 from 3-point range and also led the Billikens with five assists.
• Vliet finished with 11 points and 11 rebounds for her seventh career double-double. She has six double-digit rebound totals this season and 10 in her career. Vliet has 975 career points.
• Gits contributed 10 points and six rebounds.
• Paige Rakers and Aaliyah Covington scored eight and seven points, respectively.
GEORGE WASHINGTON LEADERS
Brianna Cummings, 16 points; Mei-Lyn Bautista, 15 points, four assists; Neila Luma, 14 points, 14 rebounds; Kelli Prange, 12 points, six rebounds; Kelsi Mahoney, six assists.
The Billikens play their final regular-season road game Wednesday, Feb. 21, against VCU. Tip time in Richmond, Virginia, is 5 p.m. (CT).