Saint Louis 1, Indiana State 0
Wednesday, May 2, 2018
Billiken Sports Center
• Three Saint Louis pitchers combined for a shutout, and the Billikens scored an unusual winning run in the bottom of the seventh inning in a 1-0 nonconference victory over Indiana State Wednesday at the Billiken Sports Center.
• The Billikens improved to 26-25, while the Sycamores fell to 23-26.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Maria Connell and Lauren Lomax opened the seventh with infield hits.
• Kat Lane advanced the runners with a sacrifice and was safe at first when the throw pulled the second baseman off the bag.
• Following a force play at the plate for the first out, Allie Macfarlane grounded back to the pitcher, who inexplicably threw to first base instead of home. Lomax crossed with the winning run.
• Maddie Baalman, Kallen Loveless and Kaylea Chappelle combined on a 4-hit shutout. Baalman started and struck out five while allowing just two hits and a walk in four innings. Loveless yielded a hit and a walk in two innings, while winning pitcher Chappelle (8-6) gave one hit in the seventh.
• Lomax had two hits, including a double.
• Macfarlane recorded two hits and a walk.
• Alyssa Chavez collected her first collegiate triple.
• Sadie Wise doubled.
The Billikens conclude the regular season by hosting George Washington in a three-game Atlantic 10 Conference series May 5-6. Saturday’s doubleheader and Sunday’s single game begin at noon.