Game 1 – George Washington 8, Saint Louis 0 (6 innings)
Game 2 – Saint Louis 9, George Washington 4
Saturday, May 5, 2018
Billiken Sports Center
• Saint Louis exploded for nine runs in the first three innings and went on to defeat George Washington 9-4 in game two of an Atlantic 10 Conference doubleheader Saturday afternoon at the Billiken Sports Center.
• The victory clinched a spot for the Billikens in the six-team A-10 Championship, scheduled for May 9-12 in the Bronx, N.Y. (hosted by Fordham). SLU is in fourth place, with only Sunday’s series finale vs. GW remaining in the regular season.
• The Billikens are 27-26 overall and 11-9 in the A-10. George Washington, which won the opener 8-0 in six innings, is 31-19, 11-11.
GAME 1 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• George Washington jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the top of the first inning.
• Saint Louis loaded the bases with nobody out in the bottom half but failed to score.
• GW added a run in the fifth and three in the sixth.
GAME 1 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Kat Lane was 2-for-3.
• Alyssa Tarquinio doubled, and Alyssa Chavez collected a single.
GAME 2 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• This time, it was Saint Louis that struck early. With two on and two away in the first, Chavez hit her seventh home run of the season to put the Billikens on top 3-0.
• SLU plated four runs in the second. After Lane’s one-out single drove in the first tally, the Billikens scored three 2-out runs on Allie Macfarlane’s RBI double and Tarquinio’s two-run single.
• The Bills made it 9-0 in the third. Kaylyn Breitbach led off with her third homer of the season, and Lane produced another RBI single.
• George Washington scored three runs in the fourth and one in the fifth. The Colonials had opportunities to draw closer, but Saint Louis pitcher Kallen Loveless stranded two GW runners in the fifth and three more in the seventh.
GAME 2 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• In addition to Lane, Macfarlane, Tarquinio, Chavez and Maria Connell enjoyed two-hit performances.
• Sadie Wise had a single.
• Loveless went the distance in the circle and evened her record at 5-5. She allowed no earned runs, struck out three and walked only one.
The Billikens and Colonials conclude the regular season with a single game Sunday at noon. Saint Louis seniors Maddie Baalman, Allie Macfarlane and Alyssa Tarquinio will be honored following the game.