Saint Louis 5, George Mason 2 (8 innings)
Atlantic 10 Conference Championship
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
Bahoshy Field, Bronx, N.Y.
• Allie Macfarlane collected a career-high four hits, including two solo home runs, to back the pitching of Maddie Baalman as Saint Louis topped George Mason 5-2 in eight innings in an Atlantic 10 Conference Championship first-round game Wednesday afternoon.
• The fifth-seeded Billikens (28-27) advance to play top-seeded Massachusetts Thursday at 11 a.m. (Central). Fourth-seeded George Mason (22-27) plays Dayton in an elimination game later Wednesday.
• Macfarlane’s home runs lifted her career total to 29, just one shy of Alex Nickel’s school record. The senior third baseman has six homers this season.
• Baalman notched her 15th win of the season, tying the career high she set a year ago.
• Lauren Lomax equaled her career high with three hits to help the Billikens match their season best of 14 hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Macfarlane’s first round-tripper came with two outs in the top of the first inning. She drove the first pitch she saw over the wall in straightaway center field.
• George Mason loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the third, but Baalman worked out of the jam to preserve the lead.
• Macfarlane promptly led off the fourth with her second homer, a line shot to right field.
• With runners at second and third and two outs in the Mason fifth, the Patriots’ Liz Seymour singled to center. One run scored, but center fielder Kat Lane’s throw to the plate cut down the tying run.
• Mason’s Jess Middleton tied it with a leadoff home run in the sixth. The Patriots put two more runners aboard, but Baalman escaped with no further damage.
• Both teams had a runner in the seventh but failed to score.
• Macfarlane led off the eighth with a single and moved to second on Alyssa Tarquinio’s sacrifice. Following a single by Alyssa Chavez, Mackenzie Lawson doubled in Macfarlane with what proved to be the winning run. Kaylea Chappelle and Maria Connell followed with RBI singles to increase the lead to 5-2.
• Baalman allowed a two-out double in the bottom of the inning but got the next batter to pop out.
• Baalman struck out eight and allowed one earned run and seven hits.
• Lawson had two hits.
• Lane and Tarquinio registered a single apiece.