WOMEN’S BASKETBALL PREVIEW: Saint Louis at Eastern Kentucky
WHEN: Friday, Nov. 9, 2018 • 11 a.m. CST
WHERE: McBrayer Arena • Richmond, Kentucky
RECORDS: Season opener for both teams
SLU-EKU SERIES: Tied 1-1
SLU-EKU LAST MEETING: at SLU 78, EKU 51 (12/3/16) RECAP
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: at SLU 78, Illinois-Springfield 40 (exhibition, Nov. 2) RECAP
COLONELS’ LAST GAME: at Morehead State 62, EKU 51 (2/24/18) RECAP
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: Indiana State • Tuesday, Nov. 13 • 4:30 p.m. CST • Chaifetz Arena
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Saint Louis begins its 44th season of women’s basketball competition Friday, Nov. 9, at Eastern Kentucky.
• The Billikens are 25-18 in season openers, including a 60-59 win at Indiana State last year. SLU is seeking a fourth consecutive victory in a season debut.
• Saint Louis is the No. 7 pick in the Atlantic 10 Conference coaches’ preseason poll.
• Six Billikens returned from last year’s team that posted a 17-16 overall record, finished seventh (9-7) in the A-10 and made a third straight WNIT appearance.
• The returning group includes senior guard Jordyn Frantz (8.2 ppg, 2.4 apg, 47 3-pointers in 2017-18) and redshirt-senior guard Kerri McMahan (4.4 ppg). Frantz was selected to the A-10 preseason All-Conference third team, while McMahan was a preseason All-Defensive pick.
• Joining Frantz and McMahan in the group that saw game action last season are senior center Tara Dusharm (4.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, .527 FG shooting), junior forward Kendra Wilken and sophomore guards Tasia Jeffries and Lauryn Hughes.
• Redshirt-junior center Amber Lindfors is active after sitting out last season following her transfer from Valparaiso, where she started 57 games. Lindfors led the Horizon League in blocks in each of her two seasons at Valpo, swatting 71 shots as a freshman and 70 as a sophomore. She was selected to the league's All-Defensive team, averaged 7.8 points and 7.5 rebounds, and led the Crusaders in field goal percentage (.477) as a sophomore.
• SLU’s freshman class, ranked 33rd in the nation by highly regarded evaluation service Blue Star Basketball, is composed of guards Myia Clark, Ciaja Harbison and Chloe Rice, forward/center Brooke Flowers and forward Evan Zars.
• Sophomore forward Myriama Smith Traore will sit out the season after transferring from Marquette.
• Seventh-year head coach Lisa Stone brings a 107-86 record at Saint Louis into Friday’s game. Now in her 33rd season as a collegiate head coach, Stone owns a 610-323 career mark.
A LOOK AT THE COLONELS
• Eastern Kentucky returned four starters from last year's team that was 8-19 overall and 5-13 in the Ohio Valley Conference.
• Senior forward Abby Wright was second on the team in scoring (13.9 ppg) and rebounding (5.9 rpg) a year ago.
• Sophomore guard/forward Bria Bass finished third on the team in scoring (10.7 ppg) and rebounding (4.9 rpg) in 2017-18.
• Eastern Kentucky registered a +3.1 rebounding advantage over its opponents last season.