MBB Preview: Billikens Host Loyola Marymount Saturday Afternoon
Saturday, Dec. 22, 2012 • 2:30 p.m. • St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Arena)
TV: FOX Sports Midwest (Pat Parris, Scott Highmark, Joe Wiley)
Radio: 101 ESPN/101.1 FM/101Sports.com (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
SETTING THE SCENE
Saint Louis (7-3) looks to build on a four-game winning streak Saturday when Loyola Marymount (5-5) visits Chaifetz Arena. Tip time is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
Saturday's game will be televised on FOX Sports Midwest, with Pat Parris and Billiken great Scott Highmark on the call. Billiken Hall of Famer Joe Wiley will report from the sidelines. The radio broadcast will air on 101 ESPN (101.1 FM and 101sports.com). As always, Billiken Hall of Famer Bob Ramsey will provide the play-by-play, while St. Louis American Sports Editor Earl Austin Jr. handles the analysis.
ON THE WEB
The majority of Billiken home games, including Saturday's game against Loyola Marymount, are streamed live via Billiken All-Access at SLUBillikens.com. Watch links will appear on the men's basketball schedule page and in the schedule box below the main photo on SLUBillikens.com. Subscriptions are available for $9.95 per month or $79.99 annually. Live stats are also available at SLUBillikens.com. A new feature now allows you to follow live stats on your mobile device. Simply visit slustats.com and click the active game you would like to follow.
SLU STUDENT TICKET DEAL
During games through the Holiday break, current SLU students with a valid SLU ID may bring one guest to a game, free of charge.
• The Billikens have won four in a row and enter Saturday afternoon's matchup 7-3 overall.
• SLU is in the midst of nine straight home games and is 4-0 on the homestand thus far. The Bills do not leave Chaifetz Arena again until Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013, when they take on Temple in Philadelphia, the Bills' second Atlantic 10 Conference tilt of the season.
• Saint Louis leads the Atlantic 10 Conference in scoring defense, yielding 58.0 ppg.
• Junior forward Dwayne Evans is second in the A-10 in field-goal percentage (.588, 40-of-68) and leads the Billikens in scoring (12.4 ppg) and rebounding (6.6 rpg).
• Junior guard Mike McCall Jr. leads the A-10 in 3-point field-goal percentage (.563, 18-of-32). He is third in scoring on the Bills with 11.1 ppg and has averaged 34.5 minutes per game.
• Senior forward Cody Ellis is second on the squad in scoring (11.2 ppg) and rebounding (4.2 rpg).
• Junior guard Jordair Jett averages 9.5 ppg and leads all A-10 guards with a .551 (38-of-69) shooting clip from the field. In the last five games, Jett is averaging 13.2 ppg and is shooting 66.7 percent (26-of-39) from the floor.
• Senior forward Cory Remekun is fourth in the A-10 with 2.3 blocks per game.
• Junior guard Mike McCall Jr. and senior guard Kwamain Mitchell were named to the Cousy Award watch list. The Cousy Award is given to the nation's top collegiate point guard. Saint Louis is one of five schools to have multiple players on the watch list.
• The Billikens shot a season-high 57.5 percent from the field and 64.3 percent from 3-point range in a 72-45 victory against Eastern Illinois Dec. 19. It was the their best output from long range since hitting 66.7 percent (10-15) at Fordham on Jan. 31, 2009.
• SLU shoots 46 percent (223-485) from the floor, 39 percent (64-164) from 3-point range and 74.6 percent (153-205) from the line.
• Next up, Saint Louis hosts SIUE (4-5) Friday, Dec. 28. Tip time at Chaifetz Arena is slated for 7 p.m., and the game will be televised by FOX Sports Midwest.
ABOUT LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
• Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles, Calif.) enters Saturday's game 5-5 overall.
• The Lions are coming off a 73-70 home loss to Ole Miss on Dec. 19. LMU had won two in a row, including a thrilling 92-86 overtime victory at Northern Arizona on Dec. 5. In that contest, junior guard Anthony Ireland poured in 28 points and senior forward Ashley Hamilton registered 24 to hand LMU head coach Max Good his 300th career victory.
• Junior guard Anthony Ireland leads the WCC in scoring and is in the top 20 in the nation with 20.7 ppg. Senior forward Ashley Hamilton scores 15.4 ppg and pulls down a team-best 7.7 rpg. Junior guard Ayodeji Egbeyemi averages 12.4 ppg and 6.1 rpg.
• Three starters are back from last year's team that went 21-13 overall and 11-5 (fourth) in the WCC. The Lions advanced to the CollegeInsider.com Tournament a season ago, their second postseason appearance in three years.
• Head coach Max Good is in his fifth season at Loyola Marymount. He was named WCC Coach of the Year in 2011-12. In five seasons at LMU, Good is 58-80. He is 300-303 in 21 seasons overall, including head-coaching stops at Eastern Kentucky, UNLV and Bryant.
Last season, Loyola Marymount knocked off the No. 23/25 Billikens 75-68 in Los Angeles in the only other meeting between the teams. The Bills led by 12 late in the first half but saw the lead slip away. Cody Ellis led the Billikens with 18 points, which came on 5-of-7 shooting from the floor and 4-of-6 from 3-point range.