MBB Preview: Billikens Host SIUE Friday Night
Friday, Dec. 28, 2012 • 7 p.m. • St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Arena)
TV: FOX Sports Midwest (Pat Parris, Scott Highmark, Joe Wiley)
Radio: 101 ESPN/101.1 FM/101Sports.com (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
SETTING THE SCENE
Saint Louis (8-3) looks to extend its winning streak to six games when SIUE (4-5) visits Chaifetz Arena on Friday, Dec. 28. Tip time is scheduled for 7 p.m.
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
Friday's game will be televised on FOX Sports Midwest, with Pat Parris and Billiken great Scott Highmark on the call. Billiken Hall of Famer Joe Wiley will report from the sidelines. The radio broadcast will air on 101 ESPN (101.1 FM and 101sports.com). As always, Billiken Hall of Famer Bob Ramsey will provide the play-by-play, while St. Louis American Sports Editor Earl Austin Jr. handles the analysis.
ON THE WEB
The majority of Billiken home games, including Friday's game against SIUE, are streamed live via Billiken All-Access at SLUBillikens.com. Watch links will appear on the men's basketball schedule page and in the schedule box below the main photo on SLUBillikens.com. Subscriptions are available for $9.95 per month or $79.99 annually. Live stats are also available at SLUBillikens.com. A new feature now allows you to follow live stats on your mobile device. Simply visit slustats.com and click the active game you would like to follow.
• During games through the Holiday break, current SLU students with a valid SLU ID may bring one guest to a game, free of charge.
• Chaifetz Arena offers special "happy hour" deals for fans arriving early to games. From the opening of doors (two hours before tip) until 30 minutes before game time, fans can take advantage of $2 nachos and $2 beers.
• SLU is in the midst of nine straight home games and is 5-0 on the homestand thus far. The Bills do not leave Chaifetz Arena again until Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013, when they take on Temple in Philadelphia, the Bills' second Atlantic 10 Conference tilt of the season.
• Saint Louis leads the Atlantic 10 Conference in scoring defense, yielding 56.7 ppg.
• Junior forward Dwayne Evans is sixth in the A-10 in field-goal percentage (.564, 44-of-78) and leads the Billikens in scoring (12.2 ppg) and rebounding (6.8 rpg).
• Junior guard Mike McCall Jr. leads the A-10 in 3-point field-goal percentage (.550, 22-of-40). He is second in scoring on the Bills with 11.4 ppg and has averaged 34.2 minutes per game.
• Senior forward Cody Ellis is third on the squad in scoring (11.4 ppg) and second in rebounding (4.0 rpg).
• Junior guard Jordair Jett averages 9.6 ppg and leads all A-10 guards with a .553 (42-of-76) shooting clip from the field.
• Senior forward Cory Remekun is fourth in the A-10 with 2.0 blocks per game.
• Senior guard Kwamain Mitchell is expected to see his first action of the season Friday vs. SIUE since breaking his foot during the second practice of the season.
• Junior guard Mike McCall Jr. and senior guard Kwamain Mitchell were named to the Cousy Award watch list. The Cousy Award is given to the nation's top collegiate point guard. Saint Louis is one of five schools to have multiple players on the watch list.
• The Billikens yielded a season low in points in a 65-44 victory against Loyola Marymount Dec. 22.
• SLU shoots 45.9 percent (245-534) from the floor, 38.5 percent (72-187) from 3-point range and 73.8 percent (166-225) from the line.
• Next up, Saint Louis hosts New Mexico (12-1 prior to Thursday game vs. Cincinnati) Dec. 31. Tip time at Chaifetz Arena is slated for 6:30 p.m.
• Southern Illinois University Edwardsville enters Friday night's game with a 4-5 record.
• Senior forward Jerome Jones leads SIUE with 16.4 ppg. He also pulls down 6.0 rpg. Sophomore guard Kris Davis scores 10.3 ppg and has registered a team-high 15 steals. Sophomore guard Michael Messer averages 10 ppg.
• Senior forward Mark Yelovich (8.8 ppg) has appeared in only four games due to an ankle injury, but may return Friday against the Billikens. Yelovich, an All-OVC preseason pick, is fourth on SIUE's all-time scoring list with 1,247 points.
• Junior guard Tim Johnson was named the Ohio Valley Conference's Newcomer of the Week Dec. 23. He scored a career-high 17 points against Eureka and added five points and three boards versus Robert Morris.
• The Cougars are one of six NCAA Division I schools with no freshmen on their roster, and ironically the Bills will play three of those schools. The five other schools are UAB, Ohio, Portland State, Savannah State and Valparaiso.
• SIUE is in its first season as a fully certified NCAA Division I program. The Cougars are eligible for postseason play in the Ohio Valley Conference and the NCAA.
• Head coach Lennox Forrester is in his sixth season at SIUE, his first head-coaching stop after spending the previous five seasons as an assistant at Bradley. Forrester spent 10 seasons as an assistant coach and administrative assistant at his alma mater, Evansville, under Jim Crews.
The Billikens lead the series 6-1. The last meeting occurred in 1982, a 67-64 SIUE victory at Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis.