Saint Louis (17-5, 6-2 A-10) at Richmond (14-9, 4-4 A-10)
Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013 • 5 p.m. (CT) • Richmond, Va. (Robins Center)
TV: KPLR 11 (Bob Black, Greg Beckwith)
Radio: 101 ESPN/101.1 FM/101Sports.com (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
SETTING THE SCENE
Saint Louis (17-5, 6-2 A-10) shoots for its sixth win a row Saturday when it faces the Richmond Spiders (14-9, 4-4) at the Robins Center in Richmond, Va. Game time is scheduled for 5 p.m. (CT).
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
Saturday's game has been picked up in the St. Louis market on KPLR 11. The feed will be taken from WTVR 6 CBS in Richmond. Bob Black and Greg Beckwith are the announcers. The radio broadcast will air on 101 ESPN (101.1 FM and 101Sports.com). As always, Billiken Hall of Famer Bob Ramsey will provide the play-by-play, while St. Louis American Sports Editor Earl Austin Jr. handles the analysis.
• The annual "Billiken Blue Out" will take place Tuesday, Feb. 19, versus VCU. The Royal Banks of Missouri "Great Baby Race" is scheduled for Saturday, March 9, against La Salle.
• Chaifetz Arena offers special "happy hour" deals at all home games. From the opening of doors (two hours before tip) until 30 minutes before game time, fans can take advantage of $2 nachos and $2 beers.
LAST TIME OUT
• Dwayne Evans registered a career-high 24 points and Cody Ellis pumped in a career-best 22 as Saint Louis defeated Fordham 90-73 Wednesday night in Atlantic 10 Conference basketball action at Rose Hill Gym.
• The Billikens' 90 points were the most they have ever scored in an A-10 game.
• The Billikens committed just five turnovers against the Rams, the fewest for the Billikens so far this season.
• Evans also collected 10 rebounds for his first double-double of the season. He finished with a 10-of-12 shooting mark from the field and 4-of-6 from the line.
• Ellis buried a career-high-tying six treys to help account for his 22 points. Five of those triples occurred in the first half.
• Jordair Jett scored 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting and brought down five rebounds. Grandy Glaze set a career high with 10 points, and Mike McCall Jr. dished out a team-best six assists. Jake Barnett pulled down six rebounds.
• Saint Louis has won five in a row, the longest active streak in the Atlantic 10 Conference.
• SLU is receiving votes in the AP Top 25 (eight, 38th) and USA Today Coaches Poll (one, 43rd). The Billikens are also RV in the ESPN.com Power Rankings (19, 31st).
• The Bills lead the A-10 in scoring defense, yielding 58.3 ppg. In A-10 games, the Billikens lead the conference with 10.3 steals per game.
• Saint Louis features a balanced scoring attack, with six players averaging 7.6 points or more per game. Three Billikens average double figures in scoring.
• In A-10 games only, SLU is second in scoring offense (73.8 points per game) and scoring defense (64.0 points allowed per game). The Bills lead the league in scoring margin (+9.8).
• Junior forward Dwayne Evans leads the team in scoring (11.7 ppg) and rebounding (6.7 rpg). He is averaging 17.2 ppg during SLU's current five-game winning streak.
• Senior forward Cody Ellis averages 11.3 ppg and is second on the team in rebounding. He is second in the A-10 in free-throw percentage (.888).
• Junior guard Mike McCall Jr. is third on the squad with 10.2 ppg. He tops the team and is second in the A-10 in 3-point field goal percentage (.442, 34-77).
• Junior guard Jordair Jett led all scorers with 19 points in the Bills' win last week against No. 9 Butler. He is fourth on the team in scoring (9.5 ppg) and leads the team in assists and steals.
• Sophomore forward Grandy Glaze has started the last five, which have coincided with the Billikens' winning streak. In those game, he has averaged 7.4 ppg and 4.0 ppg (in 19.3 mpg).
• In A-10 games, junior forward Rob Loe averages 10.5 ppg while senior guard Kwamain Mitchell averages 9.6 ppg.
• SLU shoots 45.6 percent (518-1137) from the floor, 35.9 percent (140-390) from 3-point range and 70.9 percent (337-475) from the line.
• Saint Louis returns home for a pair of games against Charlotte (Saturday, Feb. 16) and VCU (Tuesday, Feb. 19) at Chaifetz Arena.
• The University of Richmond enters Saturday's affair 14-9 overall and 4-4 in the A-10.
• Saturday's game marks the fourth-straight home game that the Spiders have hosted a team sharing first place in the A-10. They have won all three - Charlotte, VCU and Xavier. In fact, the Spiders have yet to lose at home in conference play (4-0) and they are 12-1 at the Robins Center this season.
• Darien Brothers leads the team with 16.0 ppg. He leads the Atlantic 10 and is seventh in the nation in 3-point shooting percentage.
• Derrick Williams, Richmond's leading rebounder at 6.8 rpg, has missed the last nine games but should be available Saturday against the Billikens.
• Richmond leads the A-10 and is 14th in the nation in 3-pointers per game and is second in the A-10 in 3-point field goal percentage.
• Head coach Chris Mooney is 142-114 in eight years at Richmond, 160-124 in nine years overall. He helped the Spiders to NCAA Tournaments in 2010 and 2011, including the 2011 NCAA Sweet 16. UR captured the 2011 A-10 Championship.
Saint Louis leads the all-time series 5-4. The Bills are 2-3 in games played at the Robins Center.