ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis head men's soccer coach Mike McGinty announced the Billikens' 2017 schedule today, a challenging slate that includes matchups against nine teams that advanced to the NCAA Tournament a season ago.
“This is the most exciting schedule we have played since I have been at SLU, and will likely be one of the more challenging in the country this season,” McGinty said. “Having three of last year's College Cup teams coming to Hermann Stadium – including national champion Stanford for Homecoming – will make it an exciting year.
“This is a great schedule for our team,” McGinty continued. “SLU fans, players and coaches all want to be part of a schedule like this. It will certainly prepare us for our Atlantic 10 Conference season as we look to fulfill one of our goals by defending our A-10 regular-season title.”
To view the complete schedule, click here. Please note that dates and times are subject to change.
• Seven of the Billikens' first eight matches are at Robert R. Hermann Stadium.
• Opening weekend has Syracuse visiting on Friday, Aug. 25, and Michigan State visiting Sunday, Aug. 27. At the MSU match on Aug. 27, the teams will celebrate the 50-year anniversary of the Spartans and Billikens meeting in the 1967 NCAA Championship.
• Wake Forest, McGinty's alma mater, visits Saturday, Sept. 2. Last season, the Billikens knocked off the Demon Deacons in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The Deacs advanced to the NCAA title game.
• Akron, which won the NCAA title in 2010, comes to town Saturday, Sept. 16.
• Stanford, the two-time defending NCAA champion, visits Hermann Stadium Saturday, Sept. 23, on Homecoming weekend. Kickoff will be at 2 p.m. ahead of Saint Louis University's bicentennial celebration.
• Denver, the third and final 2016 College Cup team the Billikens face in 2017, visits Hermann Stadium Tuesday, Sept. 26.
• The Billikens open the A-10 season Saturday, Sept. 30, at Hermann Stadium against Massachusetts. SLU also hosts Dayton, Davidson and Saint Joseph's during the A-10 slate. The Billikens travel to Duquesne, VCU, George Mason and Fordham.
• In the middle of the conference season, SLU travels to Tulsa to face the Golden Hurricane on Tuesday, Oct. 24. Tulsa advanced to the NCAA tournament a season ago.
• The A-10 Championship will feature a new format beginning this year, with quarterfinal rounds taking place on campus sites on Saturday, Nov. 4. The semifinals and final will take place Friday, Nov. 10, and Friday, Nov. 12, at Davidson College in Davidson, North Carolina.
• SLU will play three exhibition games at Hermann Stadium, welcoming UMKC on Saturday, Aug. 12, St. Louis Community College on Monday, Aug. 14, and Kentucky on Saturday, Aug. 19. The Wildcats went to the second round of the NCAA tournament last season.
2017 Billikens' Men's Soccer Schedule (as of Tuesday, June 13, 2017)
dates and times subject to change – most updated schedule available here
Saturday, Aug. 12 • UMKC (Exh.) • 7 p.m.
Monday, Aug. 14 • St. Louis Community College (Exh.) • 7 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 19 • Kentucky (Exh.) • 7 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 25 • Syracuse • 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, Aug. 27 • Michigan State • 6 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 2 • Wake Forest • 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 9 • at Marquette • 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 16 • Akron • 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 23 • Stanford • 2 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 26 • Denver • 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 30 • Massachusetts* • 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 4 • at Duquesne* • 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 11 • at VCU* • 6 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 14 • at George Mason* • 6 pm.
Wednesday, Oct. 18 • Dayton* • 7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 21 • Davidson* • 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 24 • at Tulsa • 7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 28 • at Fordham* • 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 1 • Saint Joseph's* • 7 p.m.
Home game in Bold
*Atlantic 10 Conference match
All times Central
Dates and times subject to change