WOMEN’S SOCCER PREVIEW: Saint Joseph’s at Saint Louis
WHEN: Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017 • 7 p.m. CDT
WHERE: Robert R. Hermann Stadium • St. Louis, Missouri
RECORDS: SLU 15-2-2, 7-2-1 Atlantic 10; Saint Joseph’s 10-5-3, 5-3-2 Atlantic 10
SLU-SJU SERIES: Saint Louis leads 5-3-3; the teams have never met in the A-10 Championship
SLU-SJU LAST MEETING: at SLU 3, Saint Joseph’s 0 (Oct. 1) RECAP
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: at Fordham 2, Saint Louis 0 (Oct. 22) RECAP
HAWKS’ LAST GAME: Saint Joseph’s 2, at St. Bonaventure 1 (Oct. 22) RECAP
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: vs. George Mason/VCU (A-10 Championship semifinals) • Friday, Nov. 3 • 3:30 p.m. CST • Richmond, Virginia (VCU)
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• No. 2 seed Saint Louis hosts No. 7 Saint Joseph’s in an Atlantic 10 Conference Championship quarterfinal game Saturday, Oct. 28. Kickoff at Hermann Stadium is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Saint Louis is the highest-ranked A-10 team in the NCAA Division I Ratings Percentage Index (RPI). The Billikens are No. 56.
• SLU owns a 6-4-1 record in A-10 Championship play. The Billikens won the tournament in 2005 and 2006, their first two years in the conference. Saint Louis was eliminated in the quarterfinals of the 2016 A-10 Championship.
• With 15 victories, the Billikens need only one more win to tie the school record established by the 2005 team. They are tied with South Carolina for the third-most wins in NCAA Division I women’s soccer, trailing only Duke (17) and Stanford (16).
• Saint Louis has 13 shutouts this season, matching the program record achieved by the 2003 and 2004 teams.
• Olivia Petit (8G, 4A) leads the Billikens with 20 points. Joining Petit in double figures are Alyssa Seitzer (5G, 6A) with 16 points, Evie Lavelle (5G, 5A) with 15 points, Maddie Pokorny (6G, 2A) with 14 points, Courtney Reimer (2G, 9A) with 13 points and Alli Klug (5G) with 10 points. Click here for SLU’s complete statistics.
• Mary Niehaus chalked up her 15th win in goal in the Billikens’ 3-0 win over Massachusetts Oct. 19, breaking the SLU single-season record she shared with Meghann Burke (1999) and Amanda Martin (2004).
• Niehaus’ 10 shutouts this year place her in a third-place tie on the Billikens’ single-season chart.
• Courtney Reimer’s team-high nine assists are tied for sixth place on SLU’s all-time single-season list.
• The Billikens lead the A-10 in winning percentage (.842), goals (2.21/game), shots on goal (8.84/game), total shots (17.79/game), goals against average (0.46), save percentage (.875), shutouts (13), shutout percentage (.684) and corner kicks (7.63/game). SLU is second in points (6.26/game) and assists (1.84/game).
• Mary Niehaus stands atop the A-10 in GAA (0.49) and shutouts (10). Niehaus ranks second in save percentage (.866).
• Courtney Reimer leads the A-10 in assists (0.47/game).
• Maddie Pokorny is tops in the conference in shots on goal (1.74/game) and ranks fourth in total shots (3.05/game).
• Olivia Petit is tied for fourth in points (1.05/game) and tied for fifth in goals (0.42/game) in the league.
• Alyssa Seitzer is tied for fourth in game-winning goals (three) and tied for sixth in assists (0.33/game).
• In the national rankings, Saint Louis is fifth in corner kicks, sixth in shots on goal, ninth in shutout percentage, 12th in GAA and save percentage, 13th in winning percentage, 16th in total shots, 22nd in goals and 27th in points.
• Mary Niehaus is fourth in shutouts, 15th in GAA and 22nd in save percentage in the NCAA. Courtney Reimer is 27th in assists.
• In a balanced SLU attack, 12 different players have scored at least one goal; 14 different Billikens have at least one goal or one assist; and 24 different player combinations have accounted for SLU’s 33 assisted goals.
• Seven different Billikens combined to earn 10 A-10 weekly awards this season. SLU garnered at least three awards in each category – Offensive, Defensive and Rookie.
• The Billikens are 29-6-4 since the beginning of the 2016 season.
• Katie Shields collected her 50th victory as SLU’s head coach when the Billikens defeated Richmond Oct. 15. Shields owns a five-year mark of 51-35-9.
A LOOK AT THE HAWKS
• Saint Joseph’s brings a three-game winning streak into the A-10 Championship. The Hawks are unbeaten (4-0-1) in their last five outings and enter Saturday’s game ranked 76th in the RPI.
• Saint Joseph’s was defeated by Dayton in last year’s A-10 Championship final.
• The Hawks rank third in the A-10 in goals (1.72/game).
• Sophomore forward Gabrielle Vagnozzi (7G, 3A), freshman forward Morgan Bower (7G, 2A) and junior forward Hannah Racis (6G, 2A) are battling for the team scoring lead with 17, 16 and 14 points, respectively. Junior defender Paige Bergman has six assists.
• Junior Grace Bendon has played every minute in goal for Saint Joseph’s. Bendon has a 1.43 GAA, a .755 save percentage and four shutouts.
• Click here for the Hawks’ statistics and results.