Saint Louis 3, Rhode Island 1 (28-26, 15-25, 25-13, 25-21)
Sunday, Nov. 5 | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Pavilion)
• Sien Gallop registered a career-high 25 kills to lead Saint Louis to a 3-1 (28-26, 15-25, 25-13, 25-21) Atlantic 10 Conference victory over Rhode Island Sunday afternoon at Chaifetz Pavilion.
• The Billikens celebrated Senior Day prior to the match, recognizing Lauren Leverenz, Mackenzie Long, Maddie Oh and Nenye Okoro in their final home appearance.
• The Billikens improved to 11-14 overall and 8-4 in the A-10. Rhode Island slipped to 10-15, 5-8.
There were 16 ties and nine lead changes in the opening frame. Rhode Island fought off two set points at 24-22 and had a set point of its own leading 25-24, but a Gallop kill kept Saint Louis afloat. A service error and a Leverenz kill clinched the set for the Billikens.
Rhode Island grabbed a 10-2 lead and maintained command the rest of the way. SLU drew no closer than six points.
It was the Billikens’ turn to win in a blowout. Saint Louis tallied the first seven points and led by as many as 13 points.
SLU trailed 13-10 but used a 4-0 spurt to go on top by a point. Four ties followed before the Billikens took control with a 5-1 run resulting in a 22-18 lead. The margin did not dip below three the remainder of the set.
• The Billikens hit .285 to Rhode Island’s .175 and earned large advantages in kills (62-33) and digs (62-37).
• Gallop hit .327 (25-9-49), recorded 10 digs to complete her eighth double-double of the season, and added three service aces.
• Maya Taylor chalked up 17 kills.
• Leverenz posted a .500 hitting percentage, notching 12 kills with just three errors in 18 attempts. She added three service aces and three blocks.
• Kennedy Cordia turned in her ninth double-double of the year with a match-high 42 assists and 11 digs.
• Long had a match-high 20 digs, giving her 20 or more for a sixth time this season including the last three contests.
• Lauren Mershon had a match-high four blocks.
The Billikens play at George Mason Friday, Nov. 10, at 6 p.m. (CT).