VOLLEYBALL PREVIEW: Saint Louis (11-14, 8-4 Atlantic 10) at George Mason (6-19, 2-10) and George Washington (10-18, 6-6)
SAINT LOUIS at GEORGE MASON
WHEN: Friday, Nov. 10, 2017 • 6 p.m. CST
WHERE: Fairfax, Va. (Recreation Athletic Complex)
LIVE STATS: SIDEARM
SAINT LOUIS at GEORGE WASHINGTON
WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017 • 6 p.m. CST
WHERE: Washington, D.C. (Charles E. Smith Center)
LIVE STATS: Gametracker
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
- Saint Louis concludes the regular season on the road with matches against George Mason Friday night and George Washington Saturday night.
- The Billikens begin the weekend in third place in the Atlantic 10 Conference standings, trailing VCU and Dayton. SLU has secured a spot in the six-team A-10 Championship, scheduled for Nov. 17-19 in Pittsburgh, Pa. (hosted by Duquesne).
- Saint Louis swept both opponents at Chaifetz Pavilion in October. The Billikens defeated George Mason 25-19, 25-21, 25-18 and prevailed against George Washington 25-21, 25-23, 25-16. SLU leads George Mason 7-0 and George Washington 14-6 in the all-time series.
- The Billikens are second in the A-10 in kills (13.01/set) and assists (12.13/set) and also rank in the top half of the league in hitting percentage (fourth, .206) and service aces (fourth, 1.61/set).
- Sien Gallop is the national leader in service aces (0.69/set). The Billikens are 23rd nationally in the team rankings.
- Lauren Leverenz stands fifth in the A-10 in hitting percentage (.335) and eighth in service aces per set (0.34).
- Maya Taylor ranks third in the league in kills (3.42/set).
- Mackenzie Long’s 3.65 digs-per-set average is good for ninth in the conference.
- Three Billikens rank among the league’s top 10 in points – Gallop (fifth, 3.8/set), Taylor (sixth, 3.6/set) and Leverenz (10th, 3.5/set).
- Leverenz and Lauren Mershon are tied for the team lead in blocks (71).
- In conference matches only, the Billikens rank third in hitting percentage (.238) while allowing their opponents to hit just .188.
- SLU is the only team with three players in the top 10 in kills in A-10 matches. Gallop (3.70/set) leads the league, Taylor (3.67/set) is second and Leverenz (3.07/set) is sixth.
- Lauren Leverenz owns a .366 hitting mark vs. A-10 opponents, good for third in the league. Leverenz also is seventh in service aces (0.39/set) in conference contests.
- Mackenzie Long is fourth all-time at Saint Louis with 1,398 career digs. Long needs 59 digs to pass Kim Moorleghen (1987-90) for third place.
- Billiken players have earned four A-10 weekly awards this season. Maya Taylor is a two-time Rookie of the Week (Sept. 18, Oct. 23), while Sien Gallop (Nov. 6) and Lauren Leverenz (Oct. 9) earned Player of the Week accolades.
- Kent Miller collected his 100th victory as the Billikens’ head coach when SLU defeated Western Illinois Sept. 12. Miller is the third SLU skipper to achieve 100 wins, joining Marilyn Nolen and Anne Kordes.
A LOOK AT GEORGE MASON
- Sophomore outside hitters Bailey Williams (3.17 kills/set, sixth in the A-10) and Mikala Wells (2.53 kills/set) are George Mason’s leading offensive threats.
- Senior middle blocker Sydney Fanoga hit .438 (9-2-16) against the Billikens last month at Chaifetz Pavilion.
- Junior libero Catie Espinoza (4.48 digs/set, fifth in the A-10), senior outside hitter Jordan Glass (0.73 blocks/set) and junior middle blocker Pihla Jarvenpaa (0.70 blocks/set) are the Patriots’ top defensive players.
A LOOK AT GEORGE WASHINGTON
- George Washington takes a three-match winning streak into Friday night’s contest vs. Dayton.
- The Colonials are in fifth place in the conference and have clinched a spot in the A-10 Championship.
- In A-10 matches only, GW leads the league in digs (15.88/set) and ranks fourth in blocks (2.26/set).
- Junior outside hitter Kelsey Clark leads the Colonials in hitting percentage (.261), kills (2.38/set) and blocks (0.83/set, 10th in the A-10).
- Freshman libero Sydney Welch ranks sixth in the A-10 in digs (4.03/set), while junior middle blocker Alexis Lete is 11th in the conference in blocks (0.79/set).