Saint Louis 60, Indiana State 59
Friday, November 10, 2017 | 7 p.m. (ET)
Hulman Center | Terre Haute, Indiana
• Maddison Gits registered her first collegiate double-double, including a career- and game-high 17 rebounds, to lead Saint Louis to a 60-59 season-opening victory over Indiana State Friday night at the Hulman Center.
• Gits scored a team-high 16 points for the Billikens, who won their season opener for a third consecutive year.
• After Indiana State scored on its first three possessions to go on top 6-0, Saint Louis went on a 15-5 run to take a 15-11 lead. Gits led the way with eight points.
• The Sycamores answered with an 8-0 run and led 19-15 after the first 10 minutes.
• Indiana State expanded its run to 15-4 and was in front 26-19 midway through the quarter.
• Paige Rakers’ 3-pointer sparked a 13-5 flurry that allowed SLU to take a 32-31 edge to the locker room. Jordyn Frantz canned two of her three first-half triples on consecutive possessions during the run, the second of which gave the Billikens the lead.
• Indiana State led by five points on three occasions, the final time a 43-38 advantage with 2:10 remaining.
• Layups by Gits and Rakers pulled Saint Louis to within a point, and the Billikens grabbed a 44-43 lead on two Kerri McMahan free throws in the closing seconds.
• SLU held Indiana State scoreless for almost four minutes and built a seven-point lead.
• Regan Wentland’s trey cut the margin to three, 57-54, with 30 seconds left.
• Following two Saint Louis missed free throws, an ISU 3-point attempt to tie rimmed out.
• McMahan sank a free throw with 18 seconds left for a four-point lead.
• Jackie Kemph followed a Sycamores’ layup with two free throws to restore the four-point margin.
• An Indiana State 3-pointer just before the buzzer accounted for the final score.
• Saint Louis earned a 32-20 edge in points in the paint.
• Kemph scored 15 points, including a 9-of-10 effort from the foul line, and added game highs of five assists and three steals.
• Frantz finished with 11 points.
• Gits led all players with a career-high four blocks.
INDIANA STATE LEADERS
Ashley Taia, 22 points; Wendi Bibbins, 14 points, seven rebounds; Regan Wentland, nine points, 10 rebounds.
The Billikens take on Loyola Marymount in the home opener Monday, Nov. 13. Tip time at Chaifetz Arena is 5 p.m.