SIUE 79, Saint Louis 72
Tuesday, November 21, 2017 | 7 p.m.
Vadalabene Center | Edwardsville, Illinois
• Aaliyah Covington scored a season-high 15 points and Maddison Gits matched that total, but SIUE overcame a 12-point deficit to defeat Saint Louis 79-72 Tuesday night at the Vadalabene Center.
• Saint Louis fell to 2-3, while SIUE improved to 2-1.
• Saint Louis went on a 10-3 run over the final 3:46 of the period and led 25-14 at the buzzer. It was the highest-scoring quarter of the season for the Billikens.
• Tara Dusharm scored all of her career-high-tying 10 points in the opening stanza. Dusharm was 5-of-5 from the field, part of the Bills’ 11-of-16 shooting effort.
• SLU expanded its lead to 12 points twice before SIUE caught fire. A 14-3 spurt by the Cougars narrowed the Billikens’ advantage to 36-35.
• After the teams traded buckets, Gits buried a 3-pointer – part of her nine-point total in the quarter – and Saint Louis took a 41-37 edge to the locker room.
• The Billikens were just 3-of-13 from the floor and were outscored 21-12.
• The fifth and final lead change of the quarter put SIUE in front for good, 54-53, with 1:26 remaining, and the Cougars went on to take a 58-53 lead to the final frame.
• Saint Louis opened the period with a Jenny Vliet trey that made it 58-56. The Billikens trimmed the SIUE lead to two points three more times, but they were held scoreless over a two-minute span down the stretch as the Cougars built an eight-point cushion.
• Covington tallied nine points in the quarter.
• Gits narrowly missed a third double-double this season, grabbing a team-high nine rebounds to go with her 15 points.
• Covington connected on 3-of-7 from the arc in her 15-point performance.
• Jackie Kemph had 13 points and a season- and game-high nine assists.
• Jordyn Frantz dished out a season-high five assists.
• Vliet registered eight points, five rebounds, two blocks and two steals.
Donshel Beck, 23 points, 10 rebounds; Lauren White, 20 points, five rebounds; Nakiah Bell, 16 points, four assists; Sydney Bauman, eight rebounds.
The Billikens travel to Las Vegas for the South Point Shootout. SLU takes on Cleveland State and LSU Friday and Saturday, Nov. 24-25, with both games tipping at 10 p.m. (CT).