Game 1 – Western Illinois 3, Saint Louis 2
Game 2 – Miami (Ohio) 3, Saint Louis 2 (8 innings)
Sunday, February 11, 2018
• Saint Louis dropped a pair of one-run decisions Sunday on the final day of Bradley’s Petersen Hotels Invitational, falling to Western Illinois and Miami (Ohio) by identical 3-2 scores.
• The Billikens slipped to 1-4 on the season.
GAME 1 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• SLU grabbed the lead in the top of the first inning on Alyssa Tarquinio’s two-out infield single that scored Sadie Wise, who rapped a leadoff single.
• The Billikens made it 2-0 in the fourth. Kaylyn Breitbach led off with a triple and scored on Krystina Kernich’s one-out squeeze bunt.
• Western Illinois plated a run in the bottom of the fourth and tallied the tying and eventual winning runs in the fifth.
GAME 1 BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Breitbach had a two-hit game, adding a single to her triple.
• Starter Kaylea Chappelle tossed five innings. Chappelle allowed one earned run and five hits and did not walk a batter.
• Alyssa Chavez and Maria Connell recorded a double apiece.
• Kernich, Lauren Lomax and Kat Lane singled.
GAME 2 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• After Miami drew first blood with a run in the top of the third, Chavez led off the Saint Louis fourth with her first collegiate home run.
• The Redhawks took a 3-1 lead in the eighth.
• Chavez narrowed the margin to one run with an RBI groundout in the bottom of the eighth, but the Billikens could not score the equalizer.
GAME 2 BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Chavez, Allie Macfarlane and Mackenzie Lawson registered two hits apiece. Macfarlane and Lawson each had a double.
• Wise, Lomax, Connell and Lane also broke into the hit column.
• Maddie Baalman was the tough-luck losing pitcher. Baalman went the distance and surrendered just one earned run, six hits and three walks while striking out six.
SLU takes a break from competition next week before traveling to Ruston, Louisiana, for the Louisiana Tech Invitational Friday-Sunday, Feb. 23-25. In addition to the host team, the Billikens will face Alcorn State, Massachusetts-Lowell, South Dakota and Missouri State.