Game 1 – Saint Louis 9, Akron 7
Game 2 – Eastern Kentucky 7, Saint Louis 2
Saturday, March 10, 2018
• Saint Louis split two games on day two of the Eastern Kentucky Invitational Saturday, defeating Akron 9-7 to extend its winning streak to five before bowing to Eastern Kentucky 7-2.
• The Billikens are 9-9 on the season.
GAME 1 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Billikens took a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Alyssa Chavez drove in a run with a two-out single, and a throwing error on the play allowed a second run to score. A third tally crossed the plate on a passed ball.
• Akron scored once in the bottom of the first, but Saint Louis answered in the third on Kaylyn Breitbach’s two-out RBI single.
• SLU made it 8-1 with four runs in the fourth. Sadie Wise brought home the first marker with an RBI single, a second run scored on a throwing error, and Alyssa Tarquinio delivered a two-run double.
• Akron crept to within a run, 8-7, with three-run innings in the fourth and sixth.
• Breitbach added an insurance run with her first home run of the season leading off the seventh.
GAME 1 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Winning pitcher Kaylea Chappelle went five innings in the circle and evened her record at 3-3. Only two of the five runs Chappelle allowed were earned. She allowed six hits, struck out two and did not walk a batter.
• Maddie Baalman relieved Chappelle in the sixth and recorded her first save of the season.
• Saint Louis rapped a season-high 13 hits.
• Joining Breitbach with two hits were Allie Macfarlane (double, single), Lauren Lomax (two singles) and Kat Lane (two singles).
• Mackenzie Lawson and Maria Connell collected a double and single, respectively.
GAME 2 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• The game was scoreless until the bottom of the sixth when Eastern Kentucky scored all seven of its runs.
• Wise accounted for the Billikens’ runs with a two-run blast, her team-leading third home run, in the top of the seventh.
GAME 2 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Wise also doubled for a two-hit game.
• Chavez doubled, while Lawson and Lane picked up a single apiece.
The Billikens conclude play in the EKU Invitational Sunday with a 9 a.m. (CT) game vs. Akron.