ON THE DOCKET (Central times)
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS (click here for SLU’s statistics)
• Saint Louis (18-15, 4-2 Atlantic 10) plays three doubleheaders over six days beginning with an Atlantic 10 Conference twinbill at Dayton (12-18, 3-3) Thursday, April 5. The Billikens remain in Dayton to meet A-10 foe St. Bonaventure (8-17, 1-5) in a doubleheader on Friday, replacing an originally scheduled three-game series in St. Louis that will not be played at the Billiken Sports Center due to an unfavorable weather forecast. SLU welcomes nationally ranked Arkansas (28-6) for a nonconference twinbill Tuesday, April 10.
• In games through April 2, Saint Louis ranks 49th in the nation in home runs per game (0.85), 50th in doubles per game (1.45) and 70th in slugging percentage (.435).
• The Billikens rank among the top three teams in the A-10 in home runs per game (first, 0.85), fielding percentage (second, .966), win-loss percentage (third, .545), batting average (third, .276), slugging percentage (third, .435) and doubles per game (third, 1.45).
• SLU begins play this week with a .276 team batting average, 20 points higher than the team’s full-season .256 average of a year ago.
• The Billikens have enjoyed a recent power surge. Of their 28 home runs this season, 20 have been hit over the last 15 games.
• The Billikens’ offense has been active in the first inning recently, scoring at least one run in the opening frame in 11 of the last 19 games. SLU won 10 of the 11 contests in which they scored in the first inning, improving their season record in such games to 13-4.
• Saint Louis has been strong late in games. The Billikens are 14-1 when leading after five innings and 12-0 when leading after six.
• Sadie Wise continues to lead Saint Louis in almost every offensive category. Wise tops the team charts in batting average (.396), hits (40), multiple-hit games (12), home runs (12), RBIs (34), multiple-RBI games (nine), two-out RBIs (13), doubles (10), runs (30), total bases (86), slugging percentage (.851), walks (17), on-base percentage (.492), batting average with runners in scoring position (.429) and batting average with two outs (.500).
• Wise ranks among the top 100 players in the nation in home runs per game (11th, 0.36), total bases (14th, 86), slugging percentage (19th, .851), RBIs per game (44th, 1.03), runs per game (67th, 0.91), on-base percentage (81st, .492) and doubles per game (94th, 0.30).
• Wise has hit safely in 25 of 33 games, and her 11-game hitting streak (March 4-18) is the Billikens’ longest of the season. She batted .514 (18-for-35) with six home runs, 17 RBIs and five doubles during the streak.
• Wise’s 12 home runs are SLU’s single-season record for a freshman. She needs just two round-trippers to break Mackenzie Peter’s school record of 13 set in 2016.
• Kaylea Chappelle has risen to second on the team in batting average (.340) and slugging percentage (.596). Chappelle has hit safely in seven of her last eight games (9-for-22, .409). She is tied for third on the team in doubles (six).
• After hitting safely in 15 of the last 19 games (23-for-57, .404), Kat Lane is third on SLU’s batting average chart at .317. Lane has a team-high nine stolen bases (9-for-10), is tied for second in runs (24) and ranks third in hits (32).
• Allie Macfarlane is 12-for-26 (.462) over the last eight games, raising her batting average to .314. Macfarlane ranks second on the team in RBIs (26), hits (33), doubles (nine) and total bases (55), third in slugging percentage (.524) and tied for third in home runs (three).
• Kallen Loveless ranks 21st in strikeouts-to-walks ratio (6.17-to-1), 49th in fewest walks per seven innings (1.26) and 64th in strikeouts per seven innings (7.77) in the national statistics. Over her last five outings, Loveless has a 1.26 ERA with 20 strikeouts and just two walks in 16 2/3 innings.
• Maddie Baalman’s team-high 12 victories rank 46th in the nation. Over her last four outings (22 1/3 innings), Baalman is 3-1 with a 2.51 ERA, 23 strikeouts to just nine walks, and a .148 opponents’ batting average.
• Mackenzie Lawson is 5-for-11 (.455) with a home run, triple and double over the last five games. Lawson is second on the team in walks (12), third in on-base percentage (.377) and stolen bases (four), and tied for third in home runs (three).
• Maria Connell enjoyed her best week as a Billiken last week. Connell went 5-for-10, including two doubles, and drove in three runs.
• In addition to Wise’s 11-game hitting streak, Allie Macfarlane, Alyssa Chavez and Kat Lane have posted nine-game hitting streaks this season, and Lauren Lomax has registered a seven-game streak.
• Billiken players have earned seven A-10 weekly awards this season. Sadie Wise was named Rookie of the Week by the conference office four times (Feb. 20, March 13, March 20, March 26) and Player of the Week by College Sports Madness (Feb. 14). Alyssa Chavez was selected Rookie of the Week by the league office Feb. 27, and Allie Macfarlane was the College Sports Madness Player of the Week March 6.
• Alyssa Chavez and Kat Lane were selected to the Louisiana Tech Invitational All-Tournament team.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENTS
Dayton – Has won four of its last five, including a three-game sweep of St. Bonaventure … a common opponent with SLU was Miami (Ohio) (SLU a win and a loss, UD a loss) … features two returning All-Conference players in junior C Kyle Davidson (first team) and senior LHP Manda Cash (second team) … Davidson leads the team in batting average (.326) … Cash owns a 6-5 record, ranks 30th in the nation in ERA (1.31) and has 82 strikeouts in 80 1/3 innings … senior IF Kailee Budicin carries a .307 batting mark, while redshirt-junior IF Kayla Haberstich is knocking at the door of .300 at .299 … freshman DP Abby Ehrenborg has team highs of four home runs and 22 RBIs … 29-27 overall, 13-10 (fourth) in the A-10 last year. STATISTICS
St. Bonaventure – The Bonnies rank 30th in the nation in doubles per game (1.56), with freshman C/1B Grace Perechinsky (seventh, 0.46 per game) and junior 3B Olivia Golay (15th, 0.40 per game) leading the way … Golay is among the A-10 leaders in batting average (.388) … junior OF/C Alexandra Deal hits .357 and is among the national leaders with five triples … Perechinsky carries a .313 batting average and has a team-high 20 RBIs … sophomore RHP Rylee Hehir has five victories … 12-37 overall, 2-17 (10th) in the A-10 last year. STATISTICS
Arkansas – Plays a three-game Southeastern Conference series at South Carolina this weekend before traveling to St. Louis … has won 12 of its last 13 games, including a three-game sweep of nationally ranked SEC opponent Mississippi State … ranks among the nation’s top 25 teams in strikeouts-to-walks ratio (fifth, 6.18-to-1), home runs per game (ninth, 1.21), slugging percentage (17th, .499) and ERA (21st, 1.85) … in the individual national rankings, freshman RHP Mary Haff (16-2, 0.92) is fourth in strikeouts-to-walks ratio (10.86-to-1), eighth in wins and hits allowed per seven innings (3.20), 15th in walks per seven innings (0.86), 17th in ERA, 19th in strikeouts per seven innings (9.36) and 22nd in shutouts (five) … sophomore RHP Autumn Storms, the reigning SEC Pitcher of the Week and a 2017 SEC All-Freshman selection, is 11-4 with a 2.02 ERA … freshman OF Hannah McEwen (.362, six home runs, 36 RBIs) and junior IF Ashley Diaz (.330, six home runs, 26 RBIs) are the top run producers for a team that boasts a .300 batting average … senior IF Autumn Buczek is second to McEwen with a .350 batting mark … 31-24 overall, 7-17 (12th) in the SEC last year. STATISTICS