SAINT LOUIS at WESTERN KENTUCKY (exh.)
WHEN: Friday, August 10, 2018 • 6 p.m. CDT
WHERE: WKU Soccer Complex • Bowling Green, Kentucky
SLU-WESTERN KENTUCKY SERIES: Teams have never met in regular season; SLU defeated WKU 4-0 in a 2017 exhibition game
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: Saint Joseph’s 1, at SLU 0 (Oct. 28, 2017, Atlantic 10 Championship quarterfinals)
LADY TOPPERS’ LAST GAME: WKU 1, at Austin Peay 1 (Aug. 4, 2018, exhibition game)
LIVE VIDEO: None
LIVE STATS: SIDEARM
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Saint Louis plays its only exhibition game of the 2018 season when the Billikens travel to Western Kentucky Friday, Aug. 10, for a 6 p.m. first whistle.
• The 26-member Billiken roster features 20 returning players and six newcomers (all freshmen). Click here for the complete roster.
• The Saint Louis roster includes players who combined to score 41 of the 2017 team’s 42 goals. Last year’s squad set a team record for fewest goals allowed (10) and matched the team mark for shutouts (13). Click here for last season’s statistics.
• Over the past two seasons, the Billikens led the Atlantic 10 Conference in overall winning percentage (29-7-4, .775) and tied for the league lead in conference winning percentage (14-3-3, .775).
• SLU is coming off a successful 2017 campaign that saw the Billikens post a 15-3-2 overall record. They finished second in the A-10 with a 7-2-1 league mark.
• Seven of the Bills’ 20 returning players earned 2017 postseason accolades. Leading the way were junior defender Alli Klug, sophomore midfielder/defender Olivia Petit and fifth-year senior goalkeeper Mary Niehaus, all of whom landed on the All-Region and All-Conference first teams.
• Klug was tabbed A-10 Defensive Player of the Year and went on to garner third-team All-America plaudits, while Petit was selected A-10 Rookie of the Year.
• Senior forward/midfielder Maddie Pokorny and junior midfielders Evie Lavelle and Courtney Reimer made the All-Conference second team. SLU set a program record with six players earning either first-team or second-team All-Conference recognition. Sophomore defender Brionna Halverson made the A-10 All-Rookie team.
• Katie Shields will bring a 51-36-9 record into her sixth season as head coach when Saint Louis plays at Kansas State in the season opener Friday, Aug. 17, at 7 p.m. Click here for the 2018 schedule.
A LOOK AT THE LADY TOPPERS
• Western Kentucky was picked to finish ninth in the Conference USA preseason coaches’ poll.
• The Lady Toppers were 7-9-1 overall and 4-5-1 in C-USA (tied for eighth) a year ago.
• Senior midfielder Nicole Roseland is a two-time All-Conference honoree.
• Junior forward Chandler Backes led WKU in scoring in each of her first two seasons. Backes has netted 16 career goals.
• Sophomore forward Tally Bishop was selected to the 2017 C-USA All-Freshman team.
• Fifth-year senior midfielder Sarah Gorham scored the Lady Toppers’ goal in a 1-1 exhibition draw vs. Austin Peay Aug. 4.