La Salle 3, Saint Louis 1 (25-11, 28-26, 25-27, 25-21)
Friday, Oct. 5 | Philadelphia, Pa. (Tom Gola Arena)
• Giovanna Charles registered a career- and match-high 22 kills to lead Saint Louis in the Billikens’ 3-1 Atlantic 10 Conference loss at La Salle Friday night.
• SLU fell to 2-15 overall and 1-4 in the A-10. La Salle improved to 11-7, 4-1.
Saint Louis held a 3-2 lead before La Salle took command with a 9-0 run.
The Billikens led 16-13 after going on a 9-3 run, the Explorers turned the tables with an 8-2 spurt for a 21-18 advantage, and SLU scored four straight points to go on top 22-21. La Salle saved three set points and tallied the last three points to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
There were 17 ties, and neither team led by more than three points. Saint Louis overcame a 22-19 deficit and saved two match points before notching the last three points to win the set and stay alive.
A 10-3 flurry put La Salle in front 13-7. Saint Louis cut the margin to three points numerous times, but the Billikens could not come all the way back.
• Giovanna Charles’ 22 kills tied the Billikens’ season high. Charles turned in a .353 attack percentage (22-4-51).
• Maya Taylor collected 16 kills.
• Cayce Chaykowsky led the Billikens with 24 digs.
• Katia Haak equaled her career best of 12 digs.
• Kennedy Cordia had 42 assists and 11 digs, her sixth double-double of the season.
• Sien Gallop had 10 digs and a match-high three service aces.
The Billikens travel to Pittsburgh for an A-10 match vs. Duquesne Sunday, Oct. 7. Match time is 11 a.m. (CT).