VOLLEYBALL PREVIEW: Dayton at Saint Louis
WHEN: Friday, Nov. 2, 2018 • 7 p.m. (CDT)
WHERE: St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Pavilion)
VIDEO STREAM NOTE: ESPN’s new streaming platform, ESPN+, is the new home for most Atlantic 10 Conference live digital events. Click here for an FAQ page that provides more details, including subscription information.
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS (click here for up-to-date statistics)
• The Saint Louis Billikens (5-18, 4-7 Atlantic 10) begin the stretch run of the regular season Friday, Nov. 2, when they take on the Dayton Flyers (18-7, 9-2). First serve at Chaifetz Pavilion is set for 7 p.m.
• Friday’s match is the second meeting between the Billikens and Flyers this year. Click here for a recap of the first match.
• With three matches remaining, the Billikens are in seventh place in the conference standings. The top six teams at season's end qualify for the A-10 Championship.
• Maya Taylor continues to hold second place in the A-10 in kills per set (4.02) and points per set (4.36), ranking 45th and 61st, respectively, in the nation. Taylor registered 4.14 kills per set and a .279 attack percentage in matches at Davidson and VCU last weekend.
• Cayce Chaykowsky records a team-high 4.65 digs per set, good for fourth in the A-10 and 86th in the nation. Chaykowsky averaged 5.14 digs over seven sets at Davidson and VCU.
• At the net, Sara Daniels has taken the team lead with 0.85 blocks per set to place 11th in the A-10. Daniels tallied 1.29 blocks per set and hit .400 (18-4-35) at Davidson and VCU.
• Kennedy Cordia directs the attack with 9.45 assists per set, placing her third in the A-10. Cordia posted 3.57 digs per set at Davidson and VCU, raising her season average to 2.75 (14th in the A-10). She has 11 assist-dig double-doubles this season, nine of which have come vs. A-10 opponents.
• Lauren Mershon raised her season attack percentage to .252 (14th in the A-10) after enjoying an outstanding road trip last weekend. Mershon hit a team-high .481 (15-2-27) and turned in seven blocks in the two matches. She collected a career-high 11 kills at VCU.
• Giovanna Charles ranks second on the team and 14th in the A-10 with 2.62 kills per set.
• Isabelle Walsh notched a career-high six blocks at VCU.
• Sien Gallop is eighth in the A-10 with 0.30 service aces per set.
• Head coach Kent Miller is in his eighth season on the Saint Louis sideline.
• Saint Louis concludes the regular season next week with two A-10 contests at home. The Billikens host Duquesne Friday, Nov. 9, at 7 p.m. and La Salle Sunday, Nov. 11, at noon. Senior Day festivities will take place prior to Sunday's match.
A LOOK AT DAYTON (click here for up-to-date statistics)
• Both Dayton defeats in A-10 play were at the hands of league leader VCU.
• The Flyers were 23-8 overall and 13-1 in conference play last season. They finished second to VCU in the regular-season standings and in the A-10 Championship.
• Dayton leads the A-10 in attack percentage (.276), kills per set (14.03) and assists per set (12.92). The Flyers are second in blocks per set (2.23).
• The Flyers graduated 2017 A-10 Player of the Year Amber Erhahon and four-time A-10 Setter of the Year Jane Emmenecker. However, they returned three All-Conference players in senior OH Lauren Bruns (first team), senior MB Kendyll Brown (first team) and senior L Margo Wolf (second team).
• Three Dayton players are among the league’s top 11 in attack percentage – Brown (third, .340), Bruns (fifth, .332) and redshirt sophomore S/RS Brooke Westbeld (11th, .261).
• Bruns leads the conference in kills per set (4.36), Brown is fifth in blocks per set (0.99), and Wolf ranks ninth in digs per set (3.79).