Dayton 3, Saint Louis 1 (22-25, 25-22, 25-20, 25-17)
Friday, Nov. 2 | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Pavilion)
• In a highly competitive Atlantic 10 Conference volleyball match at Chaifetz Pavilion on Friday, Dayton topped the Billikens 3-1. SLU took the first set 25-22, but Dayton responded with 25-22, 25-20 and 25-17 wins to seal the match
• The Billikens dip to 5-19 overall and 4-8 in the A-10, while Dayton improves to 19-7 and 10-2.
Dayton went up 9-5 early to force a SLU timeout, but the Billikens rallied back and took an 18-16 advantage thanks in part to back-to-back kills by Maya Taylor. After the score was tied 20-20, SLU reeled off four straight points and ended up taking the first set 25-22.
The back-and-forth second set saw the Flyers jump out to a 10-7 lead, only to see SLU respond and grab an 18-17 lead on a Margaret Rosburg ace. There would be five ties the rest of the match before Dayton eventually registered the 25-22 win.
The Billikens fell behind 3-1 at the outset, and while the score remained close, SLU was never able to take the lead in the third set. A Taylor kill made it 24-20 before Dayton put the set away.
The Billikens got off to a hot start in the fourth set, as a Taylor kill made it 4-1 early. A Juliana Phillips service ace gave SLU an 8-4 advantage, but Dayton rallied to go up 11-9 and force a SLU timeout. The Flyers went up 19-13 and never looked back in posting the 25-17 match-clinching win.
• Maya Taylor led the Billikens and tied for match-high honors with 18 kills.
• Isabelle Walsh recorded a double-double with 13 kills and 11 digs. She also had four block assists.
• Kennedy Cordia also posted a double-double with 44 assists and 15 digs.
• Cayce Chaykowsky recorded 14 digs for the Billikens.
• Margaret Rosburg and Juliana Phillips had two aces apiece.
The Billikens return to action next weekend for A-10 matches against Duquesne (Friday, Nov. 9) and La Salle (Sunday, Nov. 11). Both will be held at Chaifetz Pavilion.