#1 Saint Louis 5, #2 VCU 1
A-10 Championship Final
Sunday, Nov. 4, 2018 | 11 a.m. CST
Baujan Field | Dayton, Ohio
• Maddie Pokorny registered a natural hat trick, Lindsay Sands scored a goal, and top-seeded Saint Louis dominated second-seeded VCU, 5-1, to capture the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship title Sunday afternoon at Dayton’s Baujan Field.
• Saint Louis (18-3-1) clinched the A-10’s automatic NCAA Championship berth and will make the program’s third national tournament appearance. The NCAA Selection Show will take place Monday at 3:30 p.m. (CT) on NCAA.com.
• The A-10 tournament championship is the third for the Billikens, adding to their 2005 and 2006 crowns.
• Maddie Pokorny was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player. Pokorny was joined on the All-Tournament team by Lindsay Sands, Olivia Silverman, Alli Klug and Hannah Friedrich.
• Sands put SLU on the board in the fourth minute, and the Billikens made it 2-0 on a VCU own goal in the 19th minute. VCU cut the lead in half in the 74th minute, but Pokorny restored the two-goal margin just 18 seconds later before adding two insurance goals.
• The Billikens added to their school-record victory total and extended their school-record winning streak to 14, the longest active streak in NCAA Division I women’s soccer.
• Pokorny’s hat trick gives her a team-high 12 goals on the season, just one shy of the SLU record of 13 held by Jamie Perry (2002).
• Olivia Silverman, who made two saves, added to her school single-season record by notching her 17th victory in goal.
• VCU concluded the season 16-4.
Lindsay Sands (unassisted), 3:44, SLU 1-0; VCU own goal, 18:09, SLU 2-0; Ingrid Brouwer (Emma Kershner), 73:17, SLU 2-1; Maddie Pokorny (unassisted), 73:35, SLU 3-1; Maddie Pokorny (unassisted), 77:18, SLU 4-1; Maddie Pokorny (unassisted), 88:13, SLU 5-1
• The Billikens established a school record for goals in a season (51), passing the previous mark of 49 set by the 2006 team.
• Saint Louis tied the school record for games played in a season (22), set in 2003 and equaled in 2004.
• SLU has outscored its opponents 51-12 overall and 29-6 in the second half this season. The Billikens allowed only five goals to A-10 opponents this year, outscoring them 34-5.
• Lindsay Sands’ goal was her third of the season.
• The Billikens outshot VCU 17-5 overall and 15-3 in shots on goal. Maddie Pokorny and Olivia Petit tied for game-high honors with four shots apiece.
SAINT LOUIS STARTERS
Olivia Silverman, Alli Klug, Emma Farley, Isabella Palazzolo, Isabel Burke, Courtney Reimer, Hannah Friedrich, Evie Lavelle, Olivia Petit, Maddie Pokorny, Lindsay Sands.
SAINT LOUIS SUBSTITUTES
Kassie Newsom, Annabelle Copeland, Megan Crevoiserat, Haley Cox.