WOMEN’S BASKETBALL PREVIEW: La Salle at Saint Louis
WHEN: Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019 • 2 p.m. CST
WHERE: Chaifetz Arena • St. Louis, Mo.
RECORDS: SLU 10-13, 5-5 Atlantic 10; La Salle 4-20, 1-9 Atlantic 10
SERIES: Tied 7-7
LAST MEETING: at La Salle 87, SLU 76 (2/7/18) RECAP
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: at Fordham 54, SLU 51 (Feb. 6) RECAP
EXPLORERS' LAST GAME: at La Salle 77, Rhode Island 71 (Feb. 6) RECAP
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: at Duquesne • Wednesday, Feb. 13 • 10 a.m. CST • Pittsburgh, Pa.
• Seeking a fourth straight home victory, the Saint Louis Billikens (10-13, 5-5 Atlantic 10) host the La Salle Explorers (4-20, 1-9) Sunday, Feb. 10, in the teams’ only meeting this season. Game time at Chaifetz Arena is 2 p.m.
• Saint Louis looks to rebound from a narrow defeat at Fordham Wednesday night. The Billikens rallied in the fourth quarter after trailing by 12 points but came up short, 54-51. Also on Wednesday, La Salle registered its first A-10 win of the season, defeating Rhode Island 77-71 in Philadelphia.
• The Saint Louis-La Salle series is tied 7-7 following the Explorers’ 87-76 victory in Philadelphia last season. The Bills' 4-2 advantage in St. Louis includes a 3-1 edge at Chaifetz Arena.
• SLU has held its last nine opponents to a combined .330 field goal shooting mark. Three of those opponents were held under 30 percent. The Billikens' last six opponents shot .293 from 3-point range.
• The Billikens already have held seven conference foes to fewer than 60 points this season. An eighth opponent, Dayton, scored just 50 points in regulation before SLU won 68-65 in triple overtime.
• Three Billikens carry a double-digit scoring average in conference games. Ciaja Harbison leads the way at 16.2 points per game, good for fourth in the league. Jordyn Frantz is eighth with 13.6 ppg, and Brooke Flowers owns a 10.8 average to rank 26th.
• Also in league games, Brooke Flowers leads the A-10 in rebounding (12.0 rpg), offensive rebounding (3.8 orpg) and blocks (3.0 bpg). Flowers is the only A-10 player averaging a double-double in league play. Jordyn Frantz ranks second in minutes (38.2 mpg) and third in 3-pointers (2.5/game).
• Ciaja Harbison leads SLU in scoring (15.3 ppg), assists (4.4 apg, No. 2 in the A-10), steals (1.3 spg), field goals (127), FT percentage (.840), FTs made (84) and FT attempts (100). Harbison has scored in double figures in 18 straight games (16.3 ppg), shooting 48 percent from the floor overall and from 3-point range in that stretch. She is 46-of-88 (.523) from the field over the last seven games, shooting 50 percent or higher in each of those games. Harbison averaged 18.6 points over the last five games and 2.7 steals over the last three contests.
• With 352 points, Ciaja Harbison is on pace to break Saint Louis' single-season record for freshmen. Mia Johnson owns the record of 444 points (2004-05).
• Jordyn Frantz is second on the team with 13.2 ppg. Frantz leads SLU in 3-pointers (56), shoots 77 percent from the foul line and chips in 4.2 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. She is on pace to break the single-season record for 3-pointers by a SLU senior held by Harmonie King (62, 2002-03).
• Brooke Flowers has produced a double-double in seven of her 12 games in the starting lineup. Flowers averages 12.2 points, 12.0 rebounds and 2.8 blocks and shoots 46.3 percent as a starter. Overall, she is SLU's rebounding (7.8 rpg) and blocks (2.0 bpg) leader and is the team's No. 3 scorer (8.2 ppg).
• Kerri McMahan averages 6.3 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.7 assists. McMahan has SLU's best A-TO ratio (1.63-to-1; 2.07-to-1 in the last 19 games). She averaged 11.0 points over the last two games.
• Evan Zars is averaging 6.6 rebounds over the last seven games. Zars is second on the team in rebounding (4.7 rpg) in all games.
• Seventh-year head coach Lisa Stone brings a 117-99 record at Saint Louis into Sunday’s game. Now in her 33rd season as a collegiate head coach, Stone owns a 620-336 career mark.
A LOOK AT LA SALLE
• La Salle averages 54.9 points for the season but has produced more offense recently, averaging 62.8 points over its last five games.
• The Explorers feature a balanced attack. Nine players average between 4.9 and 9.0 points.
• La Salle leads the A-10 with 9.3 steals per game.
• Junior forward/center Shalina Miller is third in blocks (1.8 bpg), eighth in offensive rebounding (2.2 orpg) and 12th in rebounding (6.3 rpg) in the A-10.