Saint Louis 10, Rhode Island 8
Saint Louis 10, Rhode Island 2 (5 innings)
Friday, April 19, 2019
Billiken Sports Center
• Saint Louis hit seven home runs, including a three-run walk-off blast by Mackenzie Lawson in the opener, in a 10-8, 10-2 (five innings) Atlantic 10 Conference doubleheader sweep of Rhode Island Friday afternoon at the Billiken Sports Center.
• Lawson added a grand slam in the nightcap. Alyssa Chavez hit three homers in the twinbill including two solo shots in game two, the second of which gave the Billikens the run-rule victory in the bottom of the fifth inning.
GAME 1 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• Both teams scored a third-inning run. Gabbie Kowalik singled in Sadie Wise, whose two-out double was her 15th of the season, just one shy of the school record.
• Rhode Island plated six runs in the fourth.
• Chavez made it 7-2 with a solo shot in the bottom of the fourth, her third homer of the season.
• In the fifth, Kaylyn Breitbach’s two-out, two-run single narrowed the gap to 7-4.
• Saint Louis answered a sixth-inning Rhode Island run with Allie Herron’s solo homer, her third long ball of the year, and it was 8-5 Rams heading into the seventh.
• Rhode Island loaded the bases with one out against reliever Chloe Wendling, but the freshman worked out of the jam unscathed.
• Kowalik ignited the five-run seventh with a one-out triple, and Maria Connell’s infield single drove her home. With two outs, Chavez singled, Aubrey Hacke doubled in a run, and Lawson launched her fourth home run to complete the comeback.
GAME 1 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Wendling, who struck out two, recorded her first collegiate pitching victory.
• Wise and Hacke added a single apiece.
GAME 2 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• Rhode Island took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first.
• Saint Louis exploded for six runs in the second. Lawson’s grand slam accounted for the first four tallies, and Kowalik drove in the last two with a single.
• Chavez made it 7-1 with a third-inning leadoff home run.
• The Rams scored once in the fourth.
• The Billikens wasted no time in the fifth. Connell’s leadoff double was followed by Breitbach’s third home run of the season, and Chavez ended the game with her third round-tripper of the day.
GAME 2 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Kaylea Chappelle went the distance in the circle, notching her second victory and a career-high seven strikeouts while walking only one.
• Kowalik, Breitbach and Kat Lane had two hits apiece.
• Hacke collected a single.
The Billikens and Rams close the series with a single game Saturday at noon. Billiken seniors Kaylyn Breitbach, Mackenzie Lawson, Lauren Lomax and Kallen Loveless will be honored after the game.