Saint Louis 8, Rhode Island 6
Saturday, April 20, 2019
Billiken Sports Center
Sadie Wise, Gabbie Kowalik and Mackenzie Lawson had two hits apiece and combined for seven RBIs in Saint Louis’ 8-6 win over Rhode Island Saturday afternoon, completing a sweep of a three-game Atlantic 10 Conference series on Senior Day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Rhode Island took a 1-0 first-inning lead.
• Kaylyn Breitbach tied it in the SLU half of the first with a two-out RBI single.
• Wise made it 3-1 in the second with another two-out hit, this one a two-run triple.
• The Rams loaded the bases with nobody out in the third, but Billiken starter Kallen Loveless allowed only one run.
• In the SLU third, Lawson delivered a two-out, two-run single for a 5-2 SLU advantage.
• After Rhode Island scored twice in the fourth, Saint Louis went on top 6-4 in its half of the frame on Wise’s RBI double. It was Wise’s 16th two-bagger of the year, tying the Billikens’ single-season record.
• Rhody cut the lead in half with a tally in the sixth.
• In the SLU sixth, Kowalik provided insurance with her fifth home run of the season, a two-run shot that gave the Bills an 8-5 lead.
• The Rams scored once in the seventh and had the tying runs at second and third, but Kaylea Chappelle induced a popout to end the game.
• Kat Lane, Maria Connell and Aubrey Hacke had a single apiece.
• Chappelle pitched the final 3 1/3 innings to register the victory.
The Billikens play a three-game A-10 series at Saint Joseph’s Saturday and Sunday, April 27-28.