Saint Louis 9, St. Bonaventure 0 (5 innings)
Saint Louis 6, St. Bonaventure 2 (8 innings)
Saturday, May 4, 2019
Olean, New York
• Saint Louis clinched a berth in the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship with a 9-0, 6-2 doubleheader sweep of St. Bonaventure Saturday afternoon at Joyce Field.
• The Billikens, winners of seven of their last eight conference games, improved to 17-31 overall and 11-10 in the A-10. St. Bonaventure fell to 9-35, 5-16.
GAME 1 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• Saint Louis scored the only run it would need in the top of the second inning on Kat Lane’s RBI single.
• The Billikens made it 2-0 when Maria Connell led off the third with her fourth home run of the season.
• SLU expanded the lead to 5-0 in the fourth on RBI hits by Sadie Wise (single), Gabbie Kowalik (triple) and Kaylyn Breitbach (double).
• Kowalik’s fifth-inning grand slam, her sixth homer of the year, put the Bills on top 9-0 and in position to complete a run-rule victory.
GAME 1 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Kallen Loveless recorded her ninth win and first shutout of the season. Loveless tossed a two-hitter with six strikeouts and no walks.
• Allie Herron registered the first three-hit game of her Saint Louis career, collecting a triple, double and single.
• Lane also had three hits.
• Wise notched two hits.
GAME 2 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• Mackenzie Lawson broke a 0-0 deadlock by hitting one over the wall leading off the fifth, her team-leading seventh home run of the season.
• St. Bonaventure answered with two tallies in the bottom of the inning.
• Down to their final out in the seventh, the Billikens pulled even on Kowalik’s RBI single.
• The Bonnies had the potential winning run at third base with two away in the bottom of the seventh, but Billiken starter Aubrey Hacke induced a comebacker to the circle to retire the side.
• SLU erupted for four runs in the eighth, all scoring with two outs. Lawson’s RBI single was followed by Lauren Lomax’s RBI double. Lane made it 5-2 with a run-scoring single, and Wise’s 18th double – adding to her school single-season record – concluded the scoring.
GAME 2 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Hacke picked up her third win of the season. She struck out six and allowed only six hits and two walks.
• Lane turned in another three-hit performance.
• Kowalik tallied two hits, and Connell had a single.
The Billikens and Bonnies conclude the regular season Sunday with a single game starting at 11 a.m. (CT). The A-10 Championship, hosted by Massachusetts, begins Wednesday.