BILLIKENS, BULLDOGS BATTLE AT HERMANN
WHEN: Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019 • 1 p.m. CDT
WHERE: Robert R. Hermann Stadium • St. Louis, Missouri
RECORDS: SLU 1-2; DU 0-3
SLU-DRAKE SERIES: SLU leads 2-1
LAST MEETING: Drake 4, at SLU 3 (Sept. 13, 2015) RECAP
BILLIKENS’ LAST GAME: at Louisville 1, SLU 0 (Aug. 29) RECAP
BULLDOGS’ LAST GAME: No. 21 Baylor 1, at Drake 0, OT (Aug. 30) RECAP
GAME NOTES: Saint Louis
UP NEXT FOR THE BILLIKENS: at Oral Roberts • Friday, Sept. 6 • 7 p.m. CDT • Tulsa, Okla.
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• For a second consecutive Sunday, the Saint Louis Billikens entertain a Missouri Valley Conference team as the Drake Bulldogs from Des Moines, Iowa, visit Robert R. Hermann Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.
• Both teams were successful in conference play last season. Saint Louis claimed Atlantic 10 Conference regular-season and tournament crowns, while Drake finished second to Loyola Chicago in MVC regular-season and tournament play.
• SLU’s 2-1 victory over Indiana State last Sunday gave the Billikens a 27-1-4 record in their last 32 games at Hermann Stadium, a stretch that dates to the final home game of the 2015 season.
• Saint Louis leads the series with Drake 2-1. The Billikens won the first two meetings, defeating the Bulldogs 2-0 in a 2006 NCAA Championship first-round game in St. Louis and 2-1 in a 2014 match in Des Moines. Drake won 4-3 at Hermann Stadium in 2015.
• After winning Atlantic 10 Conference regular-season and tournament titles and posting a school-record 18 wins a year ago, the Billikens were selected to finish atop the league again in the A-10 head coaches' preseason poll. Seven starters and 10 additional players are back from SLU’s 2018 team.
• Senior defender Alli Klug appears on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List for a second straight season. Klug also is one of four Billikens on the A-10 preseason All-Conference team, joining senior goalkeeper Mary Niehaus, senior midfielder Courtney Reimer
• Saint Louis will host the semifinals and final of the 2019 Atlantic 10 Conference Championship Friday and Sunday, Nov. 8 and 10. Four first-round games will be played on the home fields of the top four teams in the final regular-season standings, with the winners advancing to SLU's Robert R. Hermann Stadium.
A LOOK AT THE BULLDOGS
• The Bulldogs continue a difficult schedule when they take on the Billikens. Drake dropped road decisions against Colorado and Denver, both by a 2-0 score, before falling 1-0 in overtime to No. 21 Baylor in its home opener Friday night.
• Drake was picked to finish second in the MVC in preseason polling of the league’s head coaches.
• Senior midfielder Cassie Rohan returned after earning first-team All-Conference plaudits in 2018. Senior midfielder Vanessa Kavan and junior goalkeeper Kelsie Stone collected second-team All-Conference honors. All were selected to this year’s preseason All-Conference team.
• Also back are senior forward Shelley Lyjak, a second-team All-Conference choice; sophomore forward Alison Walls, an MVC honorable mention pick; and junior forward Olivia Bruce, who led last year’s team with 13 points (6G, 1A).