ST. LOUIS – Five games against NCAA Tournament teams from a season ago highlight the 2019-20 Saint Louis men’s basketball schedule, which was released today.
The basketball season tips off on Friday, Sept. 27, at Billiken Madness at Chaifetz Arena. The event, which is free and open to the public, begins at 7:30 p.m. and is part of SLU’s Homecoming and Family Weekend.
The Billikens’ season opener is scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 5, against Florida Gulf Coast at Chaifetz Arena.
Here are some notes on the Billikens’ 2019-20 schedule:
– Eleven of the Billikens’ games thus far have been selected for national television, including four games that will appear on the ESPN family of networks. Additional television clearances, including SLU’s FOX Sports Midwest games, will be announced in the coming weeks.
– The Billikens play their first six regular-season games at home.
– Florida Gulf Coast (Nov. 5) and Valparaiso (Nov. 9) have each won their league and appeared in NCAA Tournaments in recent years.
– Three of the first six home games are part of the Gotham Classic. Eastern Washington (Nov. 13) advanced to the 2019 Big Sky Championship final; High Point (Nov. 20) is coached by three-time National Coach of the Year and 1998 National Champion (Kentucky) Tubby Smith; and Belmont (Nov. 23) won 27 games last year, including a game in the NCAA First Four.
– The Seton Hall game (Nov. 17) will be televised on ESPNU. The Pirates won 20 games last year and appeared in the NCAA Tournament. With the bulk of its roster returning, some preseason prognosticators have ranked Seton Hall among the top 10 in the nation.
– The Billikens’ first road game comes against Boston College in Chestnut Hill on Nov. 27, the marquee game of the Gotham Classic.
– SLU plays just three games at Chaifetz Arena in the month of December (Dec. 1 vs. Southern Illinois, Dec. 17 against Maryville, Dec. 29 vs. Bethune-Cookman).
– The Billikens play three neutral-site games in December – Dec. 8 against Tulane in Phoenix, Dec. 14 against NCAA Final Four team Auburn in Birmingham, and Dec. 21 against NCAA Tournament participant Kansas State in Kansas City (Sprint Center).
– Saint Louis opens the A-10 season at Duquesne on Jan. 2. Other A-10 road games are Richmond (Jan. 11), Davidson (Jan. 22), La Salle (Jan. 29), Saint Joseph’s (Feb. 1), Dayton (Feb. 8), Massachusetts (Feb. 18), Rhode Island (March 1) and George Mason (March 4).
– SLU opens the home portion of its A-10 schedule on Jan. 5 against UMass. Other A-10 home games are George Washington (Jan. 8), Dayton (Jan. 17), Fordham (Jan. 26), Duquesne (Feb. 5), La Salle (Feb. 15), VCU (Feb. 21), Saint Joseph’s (Feb. 26) and St. Bonaventure (March 7).
– The Billikens entertain Dayton (Jan. 17) and VCU (Feb. 21) at Chaifetz Arena on Friday nights in nationally televised games as part of the A-10/ESPN Friday Night Showcase.
– SLU concludes the regular season on March 7 against St. Bonaventure at Chaifetz Arena.
– Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, will once again be the site of the A-10 Men’s Basketball Championship March 11-15.