WHEN: Friday-Saturday, Sept. 6-7, 2019
WHERE: Des Moines, Iowa (Knapp Center)
PARTICIPATING TEAMS: Saint Louis, Milwaukee, Eastern Washington, Drake
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE (all times Central)
• Friday, Sept. 6 • Milwaukee vs. Eastern Washington • Noon
• Friday, Sept. 6 • Saint Louis vs. Milwaukee • 4 p.m. LIVE STATS
• Friday, Sept. 6 • Drake vs. Eastern Washington • 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 7 • Drake vs. Milwaukee • 11 a.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 7 • Eastern Washington vs. Saint Louis • 2 p.m. LIVE STATS
• Saturday, Sept. 7 • Drake vs. Saint Louis • 5 p.m. LIVE STATS
A LOOK AT THE BILLIKENS
• Saint Louis opens up their second weekend of regular season play by participating in the Drake Invitational.
• For the first time since 2008, the Billikens have started their season 3-0. They won the Marcia E. Hamilton Classic, defeating Middle Tennessee State (3-1), Southern Illinois (3-1) and Portland State (3-1).
• Juniors Maya Taylor and Kennedy Cordia were named to the All-Tournament Team. Taylor, named Tournament MVP, recorded 54 kills (.259, 4.50 per set) to go along with 15 digs and five service aces in the three matches. Cordia compiled 139 assists (11.58 per set) in the tournament, while also leading the team with seven service aces.
• Following the weekend performance, Taylor was named the Atlantic 10 Offensive Player of the Week on September 3. Find that full story here.
• Senior Sien Gallop is fifth in Billikens history with 0.47 career service aces per set.
• Cordia is seventh in school history with 8.68 assists per set and 14th with 1,710 total assists.
• Sophomore Sara Daniels leads the Billikens with 14.0 blocks on the season, 1.17 per set.
• Four Billikens collected 30 or more digs in the three matches, including Cayce Chaykowsky with a team-leading 41.
• Find Saint Louis’ overall season statistics here.
• Up next for the Bills is the Billiken Invitational Sept. 13-14. SLU will host Troy, Marshall and UT-Martin.
• Click here for the complete 2019 schedule.
A LOOK AT THIS WEEKEND’S OPPONENTS
• Saint Louis and the Milwaukee Panthers will have their first ever meeting on Friday afternoon. The Panthers are 3-0 this season, taking the Bruiser Showcase with wins over Arkansas State, Belmont and North Alabama Aug. 30-31. They had five players record 20 or more kills in the tournament, including Kleji Cerniauskaite and Carmen Heilemann with 29. Kylie Wilks led the team with eight service aces, and Jess Grabowski collected 51 digs.
• Eastern Washington finds themselves 1-2 on the season, following their matches in the Idaho Valley Classic this past weekend. They took losses to California State Fullerton and University of Illinois Chicago. The Eagles defeated California Baptist in five sets. EWU is swinging at a .150 clip and is averaging 10.9 kills, 9.9 assists, 13.9 digs and 1.5 service aces per set.
• The Billikens will take on the host-team Drake for the fifth ever time on Saturday. The two teams last met in 2007. Drake is 2-1 on the season, following wins over South Dakota State and Eastern Illinois in the EIU Panther Invitational. They fell 3-1 to Memphis to open the tournament. The Bulldogs are led by Haley Bush and her 48 kills (4.00 per set). Emily Plock is second on the team with 44 kills, recording 4.00 per set.