Saint Louis 3, Eastern Washington 1 (25-20, 25-19, 26-28, 25-20)
Drake 3, Saint Louis 1 (19-25, 25-22, 25-21, 25-23)
Saturday, Sept. 7 | Des Moines, Iowa (Knapp Center)
• The Billikens split their two matches on Saturday, defeating Eastern Washington 3-1, while falling 3-1 to Drake in the second match.
• Maya Taylor led the tournament with 53 kills (4.42 per set), 14 more than the runner-up.
• Kennedy Cordia led all players with 116 assists and eight service aces.
Eastern Washington Match
Saint Louis jumped out to an early 5-1 lead and never surrendered it back. Their largest lead was eight at 17-9, but the Eagles crawled back to within two at 18-16. The Billikens held them off and took the set 25-20.
SLU was able to pounce on Eastern Washington early, going up 12-6. They sustained that distance for the majority of the game, eventually winning the set 25-19.
SLU rallied from a 16-10 deficit to take the lead at 25-24, but the Eagles grabbed the last three points of the set and won 28-26.
After earning the first point of the game, the Billikens never relinquished the lead and won the frame 25-20 and the match 3-1.
• Taylor (15), Sien Gallop (10) and Juliana Phillips (12) combined for 37 of the Billikens 50 kills in the match.
• The Billikens hit for a .440 attack percentage in set four.
• Cordia collected a match-high 41 assists and seven service aces.
• Gallop led the way with 17 digs for the Bills.
• Freshman Lily Welti competed in her first collegiate match, recording six attack attempts and one dig.
In a set that saw eight tie scores, Saint Louis was able to grab a 25-19 win in set one.
The Bulldogs pulled out to an early 5-0 lead, but the Billikens were able to knot things at 9. It was a back-and-forth set from then, including a tie score at 21, but Drake pulled out the 25-22 set victory.
In another close frame, the Bills held a lead as late as 15-14, but the Bulldogs came out on top 25-21. The set, again, saw eight tie scores.
The Billikens came out firing in set four, taking a 5-1 lead. At 7-5, SLU already had kills from five different players, including Lauren Mershon (2), Phillips, Gallop, Taylor and Cordia. The teams were all square at 20, 21, 22 and 23, but Drake scored the final two points and took the set 25-23 and the match 3-1.
• Mershon hit for a .429 attack percentage with 10 kills.
• Taylor led the Billikens with 15 kills in the match.
• Freshman Shea Fuller recorded a career-high 15 assists, while Cordia collected a team-high 31.
• Cayce Chaykowsky led the way with 21 digs for the Bills.
• Freshman Margaret Mahlke saw her first collegiate action, recording six kills with a .250 attack percentage.
Saint Louis will host Troy, Marshall and UT Martin in the Billiken Invitational Sept. 13-14.