Southeast Missouri State 3, Saint Louis 2 (25-23, 18-25, 25-16, 23-25, 15-12)
Tuesday, Sept. 17 | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Pavilion)
• The Billikens came back from down two sets to one and forced a fifth frame, but the Redhawks pulled out the 3-2 match win.
• SLU falls to 6-4 on the year, 5-2 at Chaifetz Pavilion.
• Saint Louis fought their way back in set five, pulling within two at 14-12 after being down 11-4.
• Senior OH Sien Gallop had a match-high 24 kills with a .358 attack percentage, while also recording three service aces, eight digs and a solo block.
It was a back-and-forth set from beginning to end with eleven tie scores, including the latest one at 23-23, but SEMO was able to take the final two points in the frame and win it 25-23.
The Billikens bounced back in set two, pulling away early with scores of 7-4, 10-5 and 14-7. Saint Louis was able to grab set two from the Redhawks 25-18.
Following the lone tie score in the game at three, the Redhawks took control and won the frame 25-16.
In the second close set of the match, the Billikens and Redhawks found themselves tied at 17. Seniors Lauren Mershon and Gallop each recorded kills on back-to-back points to give the Bills a two-point lead. The Billikens were able to close out the set 25-23 and force a fifth frame.
SEMO jumped out to a commanding 11-4 lead in the final frame, and while the Billikens were successful in going on a run, SLU came up just short, dropping the set 15-12 and the match 3-2.
• Gallop had a match-high 24 kills with a .358 attack percentage, while also recording three service aces, eight digs and a solo block.
• Maya Taylor recorded a double-double and ranked second in the match with 18 kills (.220). She added 11 digs to her stat line.
• Mershon tallied seven kills and four total blocks.
• Freshman Margaret Mahlke recorded six kills, two assists and three total blocks.
• Emily Imo led the way with 18 digs for the Billikens, while also tallying four assists.
• Junior S Kennedy Cordia collected a team-high 32 assists, while also recording two service aces.
The Billikens will head to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for the Marquette Invitational Sept. 20-21. They’ll take on Northern Iowa, Marquette and Green Bay.