No. 8 Marquette 3, Saint Louis 0 (25-13, 25-23, 25-19)
Green Bay 3, Saint Louis 0 (25-18, 25-17, 25-19)
Saturday, Sept. 21 | Milwaukee, Wis. (Al McGuire Center)
• Saint Louis fell in both Saturday matches, bringing their record to 6-7 on the season.
• Senior Sien Gallop and junior Juliana Phillips combined for 42 kills in the tournament, while Gallop added 36 digs and Phillips recorded two service aces and eight total blocks.
Kennedy Cordia put the Billikens on top early, leading off the match with her team-leading 23rd ace of the season. The Golden Eagles took control of the set from there, with leads at 4-2, 15-9 and 20-12. Marquette won the frame 25-13.
Saint Louis was down 9-5 early, before going on a run and tying the game at 12. Marquette held a late 23-18 lead, and the Billikens fought off two set points from the Golden Eagles, but the Bills fell just short, dropping the frame 25-23.
The Billikens pulled ahead to an 8-4 lead, but Marquette came back to ties things at 10. The two teams were were close until the Golden Eagles were out on top at 19-15. SLU fell in the third set 25-19.
• Freshman Margaret Mahlke and Gallop led the way for the Billikens with seven kills each. Gallop also added nine digs.
• Mahlke, Phillips and Cordia each collected a service ace.
• Senior Lauren Mershon recorded three kills and one solo block.
• Cordia tallied 15 of the Billikens 26 assists.
Green Bay Match
Green Bay jumped out to an early 7-3 lead and then extended it to 12-6. The Billikens pulled within three of the Phoenix at 17-14, but Green Bay came out on top in set one 25-18.
Saint Louis grabbed the first point in the frame on an attack error by Alexis Dorner, but Green Bay grabbed the next four points. The Billikens came back to tied things at six, but the Phoenix jumped out to a 10-8 lead. Green Bay held that distance from the Bills the remainder of the frame and took the set 25-17.
The Billikens held an 8-4 lead early in the third set, but Green Bay fought back to tie things at nine and then took a 15-10 lead over the Bills. Saint Louis fell 25-19 in the set and 3-0 in the match.
• Gallop recorded eight kills, 14 digs and one service ace for the Billikens.
• Cayce Chaykowsky led SLU with 19 digs.
• Sophomore Emily Imo collected 10 digs and three assists.
• Sophomore Sara Daniels had four kills, while also recording three digs and four total blocks.
• Phillips collected five kills, two digs and one service ace.
Saint Louis opens up conference play with a home match against Dayton at 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 27.