Saint Louis 3, Fordham 2 (25-20, 25-22, 28-30, 24-26, 15-11)
Friday, Oct. 4 | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Pavilion)
• Three Billikens recorded double-doubles en route to a five set victory over the Fordham Rams.
• Saint Louis improved to 7-8 on the season, 1-1 in conference play, while Fordham fell to 7-7 (0-2).
• Junior Maya Taylor recorded a career-high 26 kills, while also tallying 10 digs, one service ace and one block.
The Billikens jumped out to an early 5-1 lead, eventually extending it to 10-5, 15-10 and 20-16. SLU took the first set 25-20. Senior Lauren Mershon led the way for the Billikens, recording five kills and hitting for a .714 attack percentage.
The second frame saw nine tie scores and five lead changes, but the Billikens came out on top 25-22. Taylor collected seven kills in the game, while Kennedy Cordia notched 13 assists.
Saint Louis and Fordham went back-and-forth after the Bills fought off five Fordham set points, but the Rams won the set 30-28.
SLU was out on top 5-2 in the game, but a Fordham run put the Rams in the lead at 12-8. The Billikens fought back and tied things at 17 and again at 24, but the Rams came out on top 26-24.
The Billikens pulled ahead 4-1 early in the final frame, eventually pushing the score to 8-4 at the break. Following a Fordham timeout, the Rams crawled back to within one at 9-8, but the Billikens closed out the set 15-11 and the match 3-2.
• Taylor recorded a career-high 26 kills, while also tallying 10 digs, one service ace and one block.
• Mershon had a career-high 12 kills on the night. She also collected seven digs and four blocks.
• Cordia tallied a career-high 24 digs, while also recording a season-high 58 assists, to go along with four service aces and one kill.
• Senior Sien Gallop had 20 kills in the match, along with her 16 digs.
The Billikens host the Rhode Island Rams on Sunday, Oct. 6, at noon in Chaifetz Pavilion.