Game 1 – Saint Louis 5, Chattanooga 3
Game 2 – Saint Louis 5, UT Martin 3
Ole Miss Classic
Sunday, March 4, 2018
• Maddie Baalman pitched 7 1/3 innings of scoreless relief over two games, and Saint Louis concluded play in the Ole Miss Classic Sunday with 5-3 victories over Chattanooga and UT Martin.
• The Billikens, who went 3-2 in the tournament, improved to 6-8.
• Baalman was the winning pitcher in both contests to even her record at 4-4.
GAME 1 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• Saint Louis struck first with three runs in the top of the third inning. Lauren Lomax drove in the first run with a single, and Kaylyn Breitbach scored the second on a wild pitch. Kat Lane’s groundout drove in the third run.
• Chattanooga tied it with a run in the third and two in the fourth.
• The Billikens scored the winning run and an insurance marker in the fifth. Allie Macfarlane (double) and Sadie Wise (single) produced run-scoring hits.
• Baalman entered with two outs in the fourth and worked out of a bases-loaded jam. She allowed two baserunners in the fifth and seventh innings but kept Chattanooga off the board.
GAME 1 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Baalman struck out three in her 3 1/3 innings of work.
• Kaylea Chappelle doubled, while Alyssa Chavez and Alyssa Tarquinio had a single apiece.
GAME 2 – HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Billikens took a 2-0 lead in the top of the second on a solo blast by Chavez, her second home run of the season, and Maria Connell’s two-out RBI single.
• Breitbach made it 3-0 with a fourth-inning sacrifice fly.
• UT Martin plated three runs in the sixth, and the game went to extra innings.
• With the bases loaded in the ninth, pinch hitter Chappelle drove in a run with a ground ball, and a second run crossed on an error.
• Baalman set the Skyhawks down in order in the bottom of the frame.
GAME 2 – BILLIKEN NOTABLES
• Baalman yielded just one hit in four innings.
• Chavez added a double for a two-hit game.
• Tarquinio singled twice, while Macfarlane, Wise and Kallen Loveless each collected a single.
Saint Louis competes in the Eastern Kentucky Invitational Friday-Sunday, March 9-11. The Billikens play Akron (twice), Northern Illinois, Western Carolina and Eastern Kentucky.