VCU 3, Saint Louis 0 (25-21, 25-16, 25-22)
Friday, Sept. 28, 2018 | St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Pavilion)
• Maya Taylor and Giovanna Charles combined for a .457 attack percentage in Saint Louis’ 3-0 loss to VCU Friday night at Chaifetz Pavilion.
• The Billikens fell to 1-14 overall and 0-3 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. The Rams improved to 8-7, 3-0.
Saint Louis outscored VCU 8-4 to turn a 3-1 deficit into a 9-7 lead. The Rams responded with a 9-3 run for a 16-12 advantage, only to see the Billikens pull even at 16. However, VCU regained command with the next two points and pulled away to win the set.
SLU held a narrow lead in the early going and was in front 7-6 when VCU began to take control. The Rams tallied four straight points, and the Billikens drew no closer than two points the rest of the way.
There were 10 ties in the set, the final one an 18-18 deadlock after the Billikens overcame a 16-12 deficit. But the Rams caught fire with a 6-0 run, and SLU came up a bit short despite a late 4-1 spurt.
• Taylor had a match-high 11 kills and hit .444 (11-3-18).
• Charles turned in a career-high eight kills and posted a .471 attack percentage (8-0-17).
• Cayce Chaykowsky registered a match-high 17 digs.
• Kennedy Cordia contributed a double-double of 26 assists and 13 digs.
• Sara Daniels had a team-high three blocks.
The Billikens host Davidson Sunday, Sept. 30. Match time at Chaifetz Pavilion is noon.